• is antergos something for me?

Hi,

i am a mint cinnamon user.
    yesterday was a boring day so i thougt i can test antergos.
    so i installed it on a 30gb Partition. it was very easy an it looks like nearly everything is working out of the box.

The decision to use mint was mainly because it uses ubuntu. so you find tons of howtos and programs.
    I am a “normal” user. Surfing internet, eMail, GoG and steam games watching movies.

how good will this work on antergos? are gog and steam games running well? can i use my xbox one wired gamepad?
    are there people who has changed from a ubuntu kind to antergos and how are your experiences since then?

• Who could answer this question for you, if not YOU? Though, for Ubuntu, the answer is easy. CANONICAL. And the distros that depend on what products Canonical release.
    One could go on endlessly about the pros and cons of each OS , their functionality, the philosophy behind.
    So, to keep It Simple Stupid, the KISS philosophy behind Arch/Antergos, you have nothing to worry about your programs. They all work in the same GNU/Linux ecosytem. Keep it updated (as a rolling release it gets updated almost daily) and install 3rd parties apps from one place, the AUR (forget about all the many ppas) . The rest are in the official repos.
    But bear in mind. that Arch/Antergos is far less automated than what you have been used to and you need too “google” things and consult the best Linux wiki in the Linux world. The Arch wiki.
    As to the core of your question, help yourself here.
    https://www.google.gr/search?q=Ubuntu+vs+Arch+Linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=X8UkV7LtNM_W8gee-aKoAg

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I started with Ubuntu when trying out Linux and I find Arch/Antergos to be somewhat “easier” to use. The main reason is that while Ubuntu has lots of guides about installing different applications, they’re often outdated (there can be a lot of difference between 16.04 and 16.10 for example) so I had to Google a lot to get all the pieces I needed to get something up and running. I also don’t like the fact that whatever Ubuntu version you install gives you a lot of stuff you don’t need, and Mint I find to be too “heavy” for my use.
    I jumped around until I got to Arch. I tried Arch and Gentoo around the same time and ditched Gentoo because of two things: USE flags and the outdated wiki.
    When I installed Arch linux the wiki was the only thing I needed to get from the terminal to a fully working desktop, and I had still done the work myself so I learned a lot on the way.
    The reason I switched to Antergos is that I don’t have to install everything manually just to get to the desktop, and I still have a very “clean” system that doesn’t have loads of packages I don’t need. Having used Arch before really does make the whole Antergos experience fantastic. Even though stuff breaks it doesn’t happen often and when I have to do something myself, I learn a lot more about Linux than I ever will on any Ubuntu distro.

My gaming PC was the last thing to see the light, but I still have to dual boot Windows/Linux because of some MP games. Steam, GoG and AUR gives you a lot of games. I also find most of them to run better than on Windows (7). They start faster too.
    I’m a mouse/KB guy but use PS4 controller on the Dolphin emulator and got a G29 wheel for ATS. These things works out of the box. I don’t have a Xbox one so don’t know about that controller, but search around and/or just plug it in and see what happens :)

A friend of mine who switched from Mint to Antergos usually only have one “big” issue with Antergos/Arch: Whenever he has to update .conf files he doesn’t always know what to do (not that I do all the time either :P). The mirrorlist file is easy, cause you just have to remove the # in front of the mirrors you want, but sometimes you get .conf files for stuff you have never seen before. Comparing them with the ones you have does the trick most of the time, and most of them does a good job of explaining what a section/option do. You can always ask on IRC or forums and get ppl to post theirs and/or just ask what you should do with it anyway.

That was a lot of text but I was bored. Good luck!

• Hi,

wow that is an answer.
    Thank you very much for this. It could be used for an advertisement for antergos.

Greetings

• i think most of us have started with ubuntu and gotten used to the system but really doesnt take much work to switch to a Arch based system. Antergos does a lot of the heavy lifting. i feel a rolling system is really the way to go and the arch repos i think are pretty solid.

• I used Ubuntu for like 6 months thinking it was great because I had knew nothing else. Then a teacher suggested I try Fedora, and I thought that was even better. That kicked off my experimenting with other distros. For a while I dual booted elementary OS and Fedora. But I gave Antergos a try and have been loving it ever since. Software management is the biggest upside of using Antergos over Ubuntu. It is way easier. Also all the software is up to date and you’re not having to install 6 month year old packages. Also there is no need to reinstal your entire OS every 6 months.

Cheers! I don't know what I'm talking about!

• I used it now for a while and i like it. until now i could find every program i used on mint also in antergos.
    I am also unsatisfied mint… Since the hack i lost trust and the German community is hm lets call them weird.
    i have one problem with my gamepad but if i can solve this i change to antergos.

• @twist https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamepad :thumbsup:

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• Arch Linux is the best operating system I have ever experienced, period.
    Antergos is Arch Linux the easy way.
    Don’t waste your time with canonical’s products, MOVE!

Posts 9Views 2116