• Keyboard not working gdm after locking/switching user

Hi,

I’m using gdm and I often switch between user accounts and different monitors / usb keyboards. This usually works fine however sometimes when I do this (meaning locking the screen, switching user, return from susspend) the keyboard is suddenly not working and. I can not enter a password or go to another tty. Using the SysRq + R key I can get limited keyboard control and go to another tty he system behaves weird after that . One of the following symptoms occur:

• All tty’s are occupied by gdm (so none of them has a console). Usually after a fresh reboot gdm is only on tty1 - tt3 (login screen and 2 user account gnome sessions). Something the keyboard works on another tty and I can login from there.
    • Sometimes, no fonts are rendered in my gnome session
    • The keyboard does not work in my gnome session after logging in
    • If I go to a terminal and restart gdm my screen is going on and off continuesly
    • Some tty’s have a black screen and do not respond on input

Until now I always end up restarting the system. I’ve already disablled Wayland in gdm. I prefer not to switch to Lightdm since I had more severe issues with that.

Any ideas?

Log file: 0_1461784719475_crashlog_gdm.txt.tar

• Since you are on GDM and not lightdm, I could only suggest filing a bug with Gnome.
    Unless you don t get any working suggestions, that is…
    ***No luck with Wayland session?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Ok, I’ll consider to do that. I’ve attached system log files from the time that the described problem occurred.

• Well there is certainly plenty of errors in your log to track down, I would start with testing another keyboard and see what happens.
    You can also try to explicitly set your usb/keyboard to wake and sleep with its own rules in /etc/pm/sleep.d.
    This guy does a good job of explaining that process. Here link text

You say you are switching users, are you switching to a root user and running a desktop via root by chance?

• I would start with testing another keyboard and see what happens.

I already did. I’m switching between my office and home environment where I use different keyboard and monitors. Sometimes I also use it without external keyboard or monitor. The problem occurs in any of these set ups.

You say you are switching users, are you switching to a root user and running a desktop via root by chance?

Nope, I’m switching between two normal accounts.

You can also try to explicitly set your usb/keyboard to wake and sleep with its own rules in /etc/pm/sleep.d.

Thanks, I will try that later when I come home.

usb66 monitor24 gdm33 Posts 5Views 922