• Invisible mouse cursor after sleep/lock

Invisible mouse cursor after sleep/lock. I can restore using alt-f1 then alt-f7. Can’t find a working permanent solution.

• @jinnstar7 If the cursor is invisible but still works (you may click in differenr areas with the corresponding effect), then try the followinf solution.

1. Create the file
      /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-cursoron.conf

2. Put in it the following content
      #--makes mouse cursor re-appear
      Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Device0"
          Driver      "intel"
          Option      "AccelMethod" "uxa"
          Option      "SWCursor"    "on"
      EndSection
      #--

The keyword is uxa accekeration method here.
    3. Logout-login

Good luck

• @just thanks for the help, seems to have worked. Hopefully this is solved.

• @jinnstar7 Thanks. nice to know.

• Thank you @just
    This seems to effect a certain set of intel based devices with the on board gpu and depends on the Xorg version too, my guess.

• @just Thanks for the solution. worked great.

• Great! Though I’m not sure how the fix behaves on computers with pure AMD or Nvidia cards and without Intel GPU - if they are affected by the issue. I don’t have such computers. Does the fix work on systems without Intel? Don’t know.

Cheers

• @just I can confirm it works. I have a laptop with an NVIDIA GPU.

• @Jurij said in Invisible mouse cursor after sleep/lock:

@just I can confirm it works.

Glad to hear. Thank you for the feedback.

I have a laptop with an NVIDIA GPU.

Do you know, is it a pure (single-GPU, Nvidia only) or hybrid (double-GPU, Nvidia + Intel, Optimus) card? Your answer could be very important. I know the fix works for sure for hybrid Nvidia’s, but know nothing about pure Nvidia-GPU only cards.

The best answer is given by the inxi program, if it is installed:

inxi -Gxx

For example, for Nvidia Optimus (double-GPU) the outout looks like:

$ inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0a16
               Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0fe4
               Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: intel Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 364.19 Direct Rendering: Yes
    $ 

If you have a pure (single-GPU) card, then only Card-1 entry, reading NVIDIA… , will be present. There will be no Card-2 line.

If you want to install inxi, with minimal essential support packages, run:

sudo pacman -S inxi mesa-demos

Thanks, Юрий.

• @just The laptop I have Antergos installed on is indeed a hybrid.

I do have a laptop that is all NVIDIA, I guess I can install Antergos on that laptop as well. It will be a few days before I can do it though. I’ll report back with what I find out.

@just The laptop I have Antergos installed on is indeed a hybrid.

OK. The fix works for Intel GPUs.

I do have a laptop that is all NVIDIA, I guess I can install Antergos on that laptop as well. It will be a few days before I can do it though. I’ll report back with what I find out.

You’re very kind. Just remember, Linux and computers should be a joy, so if recovering another laptop and installing Antergos on it is a hard job, don’t waste your time for it.

All the best

• This post is deleted!
  • Hi Guys - please disregard that previous post - I figured it all out and the fix is working beautifully. THANK YOU !!

• @retrogamer said in Invisible mouse cursor after sleep/lock:

…I figured it all out and the fix is working beautifully. THANK YOU !!

You won twice - how to repair the mouse cursor and how to create and edit system files. Congrats!

• hehe indeed! Always best to figure out this stuff on your own…:-) BTW - I’m absolutely loving Antergos/arch and even though I’m (obviously) a Newbie, I think this going to be great for me! Thanks again everyone…

• @just Tested with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M today. The mouse issue wasn’t there for some reason, so I don’t really know if the fix you posted earlier applies to pure NVIDIA systems as well.

@just Tested with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M today…

Thank you, Jurij. Judging from the card’s name, you’re a lucky owner of a very recent Nvidia Optimus card. Don’t worry about the missing issue. Thanks again for your efforts.

• @just Thanks! Works like a charm for me (Lenovo X220 laptop)

• @m.schellingerhout said in Invisible mouse cursor after sleep/lock:

@just Thanks! Works like a charm…

Wow! Looks like the fix has much wider positive impact than I was initially expected. It’s a pity that there’s no [Solved N times} tag :) .

It’s nice to see that people read the forum and find a solution here, before asking the same question many times.

What video card do you have?

• @just I have a Intel HD Graphics 3000 in processor

Posts 38Views 8199