• Like 0

live USB doesn't pass kernel on a MacBookPro5,1

Hello

Trying to load latest Antergos live USB to install Antergos on an old MacBookPro5,1, but no succes after 10 times. Tried a lot of solutions found in Antergos and Arch webpages but no luck.

Get all time one or two of this messages “No Caching mode page found” and “Assuming drive cache: write through ERROR: ’ '”. See image in attachment.
    Tried all this: nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0
    Also tried no apic

0_1460977662665_Antergos_LiveUSB_ERROR.jpg

hardware:
    MacBookPro5,1 - 2.53 GHz
    Intel “Core 2 Duo” 45 nm “Penryn” (T9400) processor
    8GB 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM and a
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM
    Samsung SSD 1TB

other system
    MacOS 10.11.4 El Capitan

Thanks for tips and help

• Like 0

I have been looking around on the interwebz and came across the following: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1428929#p1428929

Have you tried that?

• Like 0

Hi,

Check that you select the CD/DVD option, even when you’re using an USB. It’s the only one that works for me.

Cheers!

• Like 0

@Irakli: This has nothing to do with it, or can you explain?

• Like 0

@judd: What’s all that? :-/ I think that’s all too much, the solution have to be more simple.

• Like 0

@karasu: Do you mean by “select the CD/DVD option” the harddrive option?

• Like 0

I see know that i have forgotten to mention that there was already Antergos running on the same MacBook Pro. In the same way installed that i try now but isn’t working.
    Three months ago the older Antergos Live USB installer was working on the same laptop without problems.
    But i wanna do a new clean install on a new bigger SSD.
    So, wat is changed in the current Antergos Live USB installer that can be the problem?
    I have done the MD5 check, and is ok.

Thanks for all tips and tricks.

• Like 0

I guessed your macbook is UEFI, is not it?

If it is, when you boot with the usb stick (pressing the alt key and selecting the usb), a text boot menu is shown. There’re several options, but only one works for me. It’s the CD/DVD option (all the USB options do not work here).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

• Like 0

No, it seams EFI.
    With ReFind there isn’t a CD/DVD option?
    Very strange i have had before already installed and worked with Antergos on the same MacBook Pro?! But i will try to get the CD/DVD option.

Meanwhile i have installed Antergos in dual boot with El Capitan on a newer MacBook Pro. But there again strange behaviour. But that i will put in a new post. :-)

• Like 0

@karasu: Yes, strange enough that whas one off the solutions. Thanks for that! But this is confusion like more things in the Antergos live iso and installer. One of coming days i will put the way to install on a MacBook Pro on the wiki.

So, people with MacBook (Pro), that’s the only that i can test, follow karasu’s idea. I will post my hole experience later.

But now i have to solve a stupid accidentally format from the wrong partition, my /home partition. So, i can’t login anymore in my fresh after a month battle, properly installed dual boot Antergos. :-/ See my new post.
    That’s the learning curve i hope. ;-)

caching mode pa1 macbook pro8 Posts 11Views 809