• Gnome + GDM

I was just wondering what the disadvantages were between GDM and LightDM?
    Just recently switched to GDM because I could not get LightDM working properly with the new updates. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• @destro When I tried 3.16 with GDM on Arch a while back, there was an issue with it opening two instances of Gnome Shell, Xorg, and several other processes which ate up quite a bit of RAM. This did not occur under LightDM. I don’t know if this was fixed for 3.18 or 3.20 as I haven’t tried them. I do remember running across a bug report on the issue in which one of the developers pulled the old “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature” BS, so that didn’t sound encouraging!

• @Grey-Wind are you still using GDM?

• @destro Not on Antergos. I am using it with Debian Jessie, but it’s the 3.14 version and it doesn’t have that problem.

• I switched to GDM a few months back, and it is working better for me when it comes to memory management and using the lockscreen. See my post here for the troubles I were having https://forum.antergos.com/topic/3480/lightdm-spawns-unnecessary-processes-after-locking-the-screen-and-logging-back-in

Posts 5Views 760