• Where Antergos development goes

I use Cinnarch/Antergos three years and I have dilemma to let him go.
    When the project is launched it was focused on Cinnamon, and today we have GNOME, KDE, MATE, Openbox and XFCE. This is much more desktop environments than in other linux distribution which have much larger dev teams. Even Arch frankenstein’s distro called Manjaro offer only XFCE and KDE (if we ignore community editions).

I don’t think that Antergos should offer more and more desktop environments if they can’t make it optimized and stable for use.

For example, in XFCE you don’t have even xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin but you have unneeded libreoffice-installer package, you must disable PC beep song, web pages is much worse rendered than on Cinnamon, you have many problems with locking and unlocking screen options and etc.

I do not want to be misunderstood, the Antergos is excellent project but I think it is better to have optimized only Cinnamon and XFCE, than a lot of other lollipop desktop enviroments.

And finally, I would be grateful if devs told us what (distro) and DE they use?

• You can see Antergos’ devolopment here: https://github.com/antergos

Antergos mindset is to setup an Arch system without the hassle, the easiest way to get a package added to the installer is to submit a pull request, you can see the package list here: https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/data/packages.xml

There isn’t anything specialized made towards Antergos besides the Numix theme. Issues only occur if a package name changes or if there’s a big upgrade (Latest Gnome update) from the Arch repo.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• Its also important to keep in mind that the fact that you experience a certain issue does not necessarily mean that everyone is experiencing it. That’s why it is important to report issues to us so that they can be addressed. I use Cinnamon everyday, it is my desktop of choice. Other than the recent theme glitches caused by GTK 3.20, there are no issues with Cinnamon on my system. Regardless of that, the main point I am trying to make here is that we cannot fix issues that we are not aware of. Though its equally important to keep in mind that just because we are aware of an issue doesn’t mean it will be fixed today, tomorrow, or next week. We must prioritize our time which is extremely limited at the moment (unfortunately). That being said, we always do our best to address problems as quickly as possible.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• lollipop desktop environments? :smile:

• @lots.0.logs What are the recent graphical glitches you are referring to? Are they similar to what I have reported here? I really like the Numix Frost themes and hope they can be fixed soon.

• For example, in XFCE you don’t have even xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin but you have unneeded libreoffice-installer package, you must disable PC beep song, web pages is much worse rendered than on Cinnamon, you have many problems with locking and unlocking screen options and etc.

As @lots.0.logs said, we can’t fix things that we even don’t know are broken. Please, if you find any issues you should report them so we can fix them. The best way to do this is in github or here.

And to which system we use… well, nedless to say that we use Antergos. I use Enlightenment atm because I want to learn a bit how it works, but lately I’ve been using Plasma (KDE).

Cheers!

Posts 6Views 1237