• Just run updates - can't log in graphically or start xorg

I’ve just run an update for the first time in 2 weeks. On booting afterwards, I’m greeted with this. The second picture shows the result of pressing the menu button in the top right.

0_1460405589222_DSC_0001.JPG
    0_1460405697542_DSC_0002.JPG

I can go to the command line by Ctrl-Alt-F5. There I can log in. Then I tried to run startx, and I get the following result (image at this link - I couldn’t put it in directly because the file’s too big):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4i7jv-Wn1lBcllOdEZ0NlkzVjQ/view?usp=sharing

I’m totally at a loss for what to do now. I could try downgrading packages, but there are around 150 that have just been updated so I haven’t got a clue which one I should downgrade. Thanks for any help.

• X is already running, that’s why you can’t run startx

Please, log in as you do (CTRL+F5) and try to update your system again (there has been a fix for lightdm-webkit2-greeter, that’s what is failing you).

sudo pacman -Syyuu

If it still does not work, as a last resort, you can try to stop lightdm and install and use gdm as a replacement:

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    sudo systemctl stop lightdm
    sudo systemctl start gdm

• Thank you very much for your swift response!

I had to resort to using gdm. I did run some more updates but they don’t seem to have helped. I will continue to check lightdm’s functionality after updates. Is there any further advice you have in the mean time?

• Yeah I had the same problem earlier today, still pretty new to Linux but I resolved this issue by removing the lightdm package and doing a fresh install of the upgraded package after updating my packages.

• Sorry forgot to mention I did all this through tty,

• @destro Thanks for this advice everything’s sorted and back to normal now :)

• @karasu Thanks my friend!
    I had also this problem after updating so I installed gdm and it worked! :clap_tone1:

• @karasu said in Just run updates - can't log in graphically or start xorg:

Is there a way to start gdm automatically after turn on or restart?
    I have to write sudo systemctl start gdm for log in. :confused:

• @edconocerte

I had also this problem after updating so I installed gdm and it worked!

Did you remember to disable lightdm when enabled gdm?
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @edconocerte , as @anarch says, you can use enable/disable to make a service start when your computer boots.

sudo systemctl enable gdm

Cheers!

login manager10 xorg22 update45 Posts 10Views 1572