• Like 0

GNOME 3.20 randomly crashes after update

Upon upgrading to GNOME 3.20 (among approximately 170 other software updates), my Antergos machine reboots about five minutes after logging in. It doesn’t seem to matter what I’m doing at the time the machine crashes. Upon crashing, the display just goes black and presents the same on-screen text it does at boot and hangs there for an indefinite timeframe (starting version 229 /dev/sdc2: recovering journal…). I’ve tried disabling all GNOME shell extensions in the GNOME tweak tool, disabling all non-default GNOME themes, and booting from the linux-lts kernel.

My system details:
    CPU: AMD A10-5800K APU
    GPU: GeForce GTX 660
    RAM: 16 GB
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.5-1-ARCH
    NVIDIA Driver version: 361.28
    I run gdm instead of lightdm (in case that makes a difference)

• Like 0

Just a thought. Which session are you running? Gnome or Gnome on Wayland? I ve read of cases where users of 3.20 using GDM were running Wayland by default without knowing…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

This occurs to me as well and I am not using Wayland. My workaround is to select the ALT+F2 keys. This will get you back to the desktop. Now your background will be full of artifacts. Just re-select your background wallpaper and you should be in good shape. This seems to only occur for me on new sessions, meaning that I have just rebooted. Once you use ALT+F2 you should not have the problem again until your next reboot. Appears to me to be some sort of bug. BTW I use Nvidia proprietary driver.

• Like 0

I have the same issue. The ALT+F2 does work as a workaround. However this does not happen with my Intel graphics laptop. Only on my desktop with Nvidia graphics.

• Like 0

After my latest system updates, this problem has been resolved. I didn’t make any config changes, just used the workaround until it appears to have been fixed upstream.

Posts 6Views 1400