• Desktop-Less "environment"

0_1459927291488_Screenshot from 2016-04-06 08-21-17.png

Sometimes it’s great to have a bare-bones Desktop Environment and from it, add the applications each one needs. It lowers machine resource requirements, install/update/upgrade time, a.s.o.
    For that purpose, I have tried:
    1 - command line install, add the basic DE files.
    2 - The most lightweight DE install, add the basic files of prefered DE.
    For Gnome Shell, the installed basic files were gnome-session, gnome shell.
    For some reason, it works for 2) but not for 1) above (whitch woud be the preferred scenario).
    Antergos has already the minimal iso install. So, my question is:
    Would it be possible to add a 7th install environment without desktop, but in a way that adding the basic files of the various DE, would just wok?

The attached pic is an Arch base distro with Openbox

• Why not just uninstall any components not needed? Antergos gives a “base install” option that is nothing more than a terminal in which you build everything from there. If you know the proper terminal commands you can build linux from the ground up with only what you want.

Not sure what you are asking here. Did you run into trouble installing gnome3? Where there undesired packages on a clean install?

Also if you want a “desktop less environment” window managers are nice. Openbox, AwesomeWM, i3, Fluxbox, Blackbox only name a few.

• @4ant just install antergos openbox ;) you will be very happy :)

• @4ant said in Desktop-Less "environment":

Would it be possible to add a 7th install environment without desktop, but in a way that adding the basic files of the various DE, would just wok?

Antergos has indeed a “Base” desktop environment. So, this thread was a mistake …I was asking something that does exist. Sorry for the confusion it may have caused.

So, I went on with a Base install and added a minimum Gnome environment. It worked great!
    Gnome files added: gnome-shell, gnome-session, gnome-control-center, gnome-tweak-tool, gnome-terminal and gdm.
    Services enabled: gdm and NetworkManager. Then, to login, start gdm.

This allow for a very low memory Gnome Shell.
    So, I’ll crunch the above mentioned install and will bang Antergos Base in that partition :)

Thanks for the hint @megaman. I’ll give Antergos Openbox a try.

0_1460384512781_Screenshot from 2016-04-11 14-51-04.png

Posts 4Views 1111