• Why is Antergos' boot up no-frills?

Antergos has neither an attractive GRUB2 theme by default, nor a graphical boot splash using Plymouth etc. (I know arch doesn’t include any of these in its repos, but that doesn’t stop Antergos). The whole bootup process is text. Are the developers focused on other things?

• Antergos has neither an attractive GRUB2 theme by default, nor a graphical boot splash using Plymouth etc. (I know arch doesn’t include any of these in its repos, but that doesn’t stop Antergos). The whole bootup process is text. Are the developers focused on other things?

• They are working on it, among other things.

• @“andrew89”:yjh4cjsy said:

Antergos has neither an attractive GRUB2 theme by default, nor a graphical boot splash using Plymouth etc. (I know arch doesn’t include any of these in its repos, but that doesn’t stop Antergos). The whole bootup process is text. Are the developers focused on other things?[/quote:yjh4cjsy]

Hi there,

Yes we are working on it. In fact, the Grub2 theme is already included in our testing iso’s and will be in the next release. We also will be moving to lightdm with a pretty awesome customized Antergos greeter theme. As for plymouth, I don’t think we will be implementing it into the default installation. The reason being that boot times on Arch are so short that in most cases plymouth actually slows them down. Maybe on older systems boot times are long enough for it so perhaps we could make it an optional feature during install. I will bring that back to the team for sure

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=

• Okay good to know.

And when I do upgrade from this 5 year old computer, yes he bootsplash will be hardly necessary.

I was very satisfied with GDM already, but maybe LightDM will end up being even nicer. Hopefully nothing in GNOME will clash with it.

• LightDM is made to work with any desktop which is the main reason we chose it as the new default

• @“andrew89”:3t4l2nj6 said:

Post by andrew89 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 am
    Antergos has neither an attractive GRUB2 theme by default, nor a graphical boot splash using Plymouth etc. (I know arch doesn’t include any of these in its repos, but that doesn’t stop Antergos). The whole bootup process is text. Are the developers focused on other things?[/quote:3t4l2nj6]

but nobody stops you from installing anything fancy. to me I like the text bootup so when the … hits the fan I know what happened right away. I’ve tried lightdm with Antergos theme and it’s alright but lxdm seems a bit faster. My 5c would be try installing whatever you like and see how it goes and then propose here perhaps.

• @“rusty”:i6gx4gtc said:

lxdm seems a bit faster. [/quote:i6gx4gtc]
    I have not noticed any difference in speed. At what point is it slower?

Best Regards,

• I think right before loading gui a slight slow down. I didn’t test the boot speeds It just visually was a bit slower.

• I had a feeling you were going to say that…the login box has an animation set on it that causes the delay. I plan to remove it, just havent gotten around to it yet

• well a bit annoying thing is not even that delay but extra click I need to do extra two extra clicks for a password windows to show up and then after typing my password I have to click enter icon or Tab and hit Enter to login. With Lxdm I just hit enter type in my pass and hit enter and done. So login process with Lxdm is bit faster too vs Lightdm. However, with Lightdm you can have nice looking themes.

Posts 11Views 1980