• Mirrorlist update, which one to be use ?

Hi,

After this morning mirrorlist update which is stored as mirrorlist.pacnew I saw that I have :

antergos.mirrorlist
    mirrorlist
    mirrorlist.pacnew

I’m confused about what to do… Backup mirrolist and rename mirrorlist.pacnew to mirrorlist and uncomment the wished mirrors ?

Thanks.

• @sushi It’s possible to do one (or all) of the three things. All choices or any combination of them are valid.

• do nothing (my choice in 99% of cases)
    • do what you’re going to do
    • run reflector to update mirrorlist (few times a year)

Unless you’re super-prudent, there’s no need to backup existing mirrorlist.

• Just : Thanks for your quick reply.

Doing nothing means that at every update you got one more mirrolist… filling your folder for nothing, right ?
    Install reflector for just few times a year, the same can be done by command line.
    I’m going to remove the “old” mirrolist and rename the new one, then uncomment the wished mirrors.

What about antergos.mirrorlist, what for is it exactly ?

Thanks.

P.S. PacmanXG4 complaining that theyr’s a new available version but no one through pacman update. I don’t understand…?

• @sushi said:

Just : Thanks for your quick reply.

Doing nothing means that at every update you got one more mirrolist… filling your folder for nothing, right ?

Wrong. A new .pacnew removes the old one. There’s only one .pacnew in any dir at a time.

Install reflector for just few times a year, the same can be done by command line.

reflector is the most powerful and flexible command line utility.

I’m going to remove the “old” mirrolist and rename the new one, then uncomment the wished mirrors.

The “wished mirrors” might not coincide with the fastest ones, recoverable by reflector for your current geographical location.

Obviously, the decision is only up to you.

What about antergos.mirrorlist, what for is it exactly ?

It holds the list of server and mirrors, where [anterogs] repo resides, and only this repo. It is neither included in .pacnew from Arch, nor may be treated with reflector.

Thanks.

P.S. PacmanXG4 complaining that theyr’s a new available version but no one through pacman update. I don’t understand…?

I’m not in Arch/Antergos right now, so can’t verify that. If PacmanXG4 is from AUR, you’ll never see it with pacman. Use yaourt instead. Or other package managers that work with AUR. Pacman does not.

• @sushi said:

Antergos devs offer PacmanXG4 thru [antergos] repo:

$ pacman -Sii pacmanxg4
    Repository      : antergos
    Name            : pacmanxg4
    Version         : 4.16.3-3
    Description     : Yet another GUI for pacman and yaourt. Depends neither GTK nor Qt, only X11
    Architecture    : x86_64
    URL             : http://almin-soft.fsay.net/index.php?pacmanxg/4x-series
    Licenses        : GPL2
    Groups          : None
    Provides        : None
    Depends On      : pacman  lib32-libx11  lib32-gcc-libs  lib32-libxft  wget  ssx  lib32-libxrender
    Optional Deps   : yaourt: AUR support
                      pkgtools: pkgfile utility check
                      repacman: rebuild package
    Required By     : None
    Optional For    : None
    Conflicts With  : None
    Replaces        : None
    Download Size   : 1367.34 KiB
    Installed Size  : 1729.00 KiB
    Packager        : Unknown Packager
    Build Date      : Fri 30 Jan 2015 17:29:09 MSK
    MD5 Sum         : 9dd8b39f2711e792807c7404804b89dc
    SHA-256 Sum     : 9b4b4d76f555ee4e2061b265a34c0de5afffa0b62874effecec88821efcb9c01
    Signatures      : CDBD406AA1AA7A1D

$

It may be installed with pacman normally:

$ sudo pacman -S pacmanxg4
    [sudo] password for just: *********
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...
    warning: dependency cycle detected:
    warning: lib32-harfbuzz will be installed before its lib32-freetype2 dependency

Package (13)               New Version  Net Change  Download Size

multilib/lib32-fontconfig  2.11.94-1      0.33 MiB       0.11 MiB
    multilib/lib32-freetype2   2.6.3-1        0.76 MiB       0.31 MiB
    multilib/lib32-glib2       2.46.2-1       3.28 MiB       0.96 MiB
    multilib/lib32-harfbuzz    1.2.4-1        0.50 MiB       0.17 MiB
    multilib/lib32-icu         56.1-2        28.76 MiB       7.36 MiB
    multilib/lib32-libdbus     1.10.8-1       0.36 MiB       0.12 MiB
    multilib/lib32-libpng      1.6.21-1       0.31 MiB       0.12 MiB
    multilib/lib32-libxft      2.3.2-1        0.09 MiB       0.03 MiB
    multilib/lib32-libxrender  0.9.9-1        0.04 MiB       0.02 MiB
    multilib/lib32-pcre        8.38-2         1.32 MiB       0.32 MiB
    antergos/ssx               2.2-2          0.55 MiB       0.53 MiB
    extra/wget                 1.17.1-1       2.57 MiB       0.52 MiB
    antergos/pacmanxg4         4.16.3-3       1.69 MiB       1.34 MiB

Total Download Size:   11.90 MiB
    Total Installed Size:  40.58 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] No, thanks

$

• Thanks for the precisions.

I don’t really understand why the mirrorlist doesn’t get automaticaly replaced by the new one ? Which one is taken in account in the system by pacman, mirrorlist or mirrorlist.pacnew ? Do we have to rename mirrorlist.pacnew > mirrorlist to be considerated as reference ?

So, thoes command lines are made trough reflector, I see.

Ok for antergos.mirrorlist

Yes, I have installed PacmanXG4 trough pacman -S, that’s why my surprise for the available new version.

• @sushi said:

Thanks for the precisions.

I don’t really understand why the mirrorlist doesn’t get automaticaly replaced by the new one ?

Because you might have modified it to suit your needs, added new servers/mirrors, removed other ones, prepared it with reflector. Do you want automatically loose all your interventions? I suppose you don’t.

Which one is taken in account in the system by pacman, mirrorlist or mirrorlist.pacnew ?

mirrorlist only. .pacnew never. You should start to learn Arch. At least what mirrors are.

Do we have to rename mirrorlist.pacnew > mirrorlist to be considerated as reference ?

Yes, if you wish. pacnew is never considered. See above.

So, thoes command lines are made trough reflector, I see.

Ok for antergos.mirrorlist

Yes, I have installed PacmanXG4 trough pacman -S, that’s why my surprise for the available new version.

Please, do not mix two subjects in one topic. The title of the OP speaks about mirrorlist. Let continue on this subject, if a continuation is still needed.

For PacmanXG4 problems open another topic, please.

• I just installed Reflector and sorted the mirrorlist by download rate as explained in the official doc.

• " jghodd commented on 2015-09-19 07:24
    does anyone know what happened to almin-soft.ru and the developer Alexandre Minoshi? The site along with the pacmanxg and systemdx package software all seem to have disappeared."

" WoefulDerelict commented on 2015-09-27 18:37

There is no readily information I am aware of explaining the 404 error with almin-soft.ru beyond its host account at nx0.ru being empty. What has become of that data and the developer are an unresolved mystery. As fhdk has kindly pointed out Antergos maintains binary packages of pacmanxg and ssx. It also appears the user has taken the liberty of mirroring those packages at github.

As it stands PacmanXG appears to find it hard to handle the loss of almin-soft.ru and claims a new version is available. I am aware of no mirror of the PacmanXG source or continued development effort on the application. As Kaan suggested in regards to ssx, it is possible that almin-soft and the related works hosted there have been abandoned, we shall have to wait and see".

I don t know if it is maintained by Antergos. I saw it warning about a new version, which I didn t bother looking into, since I had already decided to migrate to Wayland and pacmanxg4 was x11 compatible only…
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pacmanxg/?comments=all

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

Posts 9Views 1308