• My Laptop Unlearned Suspend? i.e. Suspend leads directly to failing

Hey everyone!

I’m brand new to Antergos and just came through the Archway… do people say that? I’ve been a Linux user for a long time—knowing enough about the internet and just enough about Linux to get through most all of my problems. This time I’m stumped…

I’ve done my best to read through the wiki and understand the power management systems. A lot of it is still pretty hazy, but I’m starting to get the hang of it, maybe?

Here’s my problem: I think my Dell 9350 (Kernel 4.4.5-1, Skylake, Intel HD520 & upgraded Intel 7265 wireless card) has unlearned how to go to sleep. What I mean is, whenever a request to sleep/suspend is made, the system simply crashes. It doesn’t power off, it just stops. When I reopen the lid (in the case where I initiate suspend by closing the lid) the computer boots up.

Here’s the stuff I’ve tried so far:

A. Control case — everything as inert as possible.

1. I commented out everything in /etc/systemd/system.conf
    2. I went through the GUI power management tools and turned everything to as unresponsive as possible: do nothing when power button is pressed, etc…
    3. I opened dconf editor and adjusted the following options:
      org.cinnamon.screensaver.idle-lock-enabled = 0. I thought I was having trouble with the lock screen—cinnamon-screensaver
      org.cinnamon.session.screensaver-uses-logind = 0
      org.cinnamon.session.session-manager-uses-logind = 0
      org.cinnamon.session.settings-daemon-uses-logind = 0
      org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.power.button-* = blank
      org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.lid-close-* = blank
      org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.lock-on-suspend = 0

Then nothing happens! Great. I can push the power button; I can close and open the lid.

B. Test case — turn back on the lid close suspend:

1. org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.power.lid-close-* = suspend

Close the lid, open it up and the poor thing had halted (is that the right word) and it powers up.

Any thoughts?

Here are a few snippets from the logs:
    Journal

kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: BAR 6: [??? 0x00000000 flags 0x2] has bogus alignment
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  sleep requested (sleeping: no  enabled: yes)
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  sleeping...
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  (wlp58s0): device state change: activated -> unmanaged (reason 'sleeping') [100 10 37]
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  (wlp58s0): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 29289
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  (wlp58s0): DHCPv4 state changed bound -> done
    kernel: wlp58s0: deauthenticating from 74:a0:2f:a7:b9:be by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
    wpa_supplicant[601]: wlp58s0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=74:a0:2f:a7:b9:be reason=3 locally_generated=1
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  Removing DNS information from /usr/bin/resolvconf
    NetworkManager[538]: <info>  NetworkManager state is now ASLEEP
    wpa_supplicant[601]: nl80211: deinit ifname=p2p-dev-wlp58s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
    NetworkManager[538]: <warn>  Failed to GDBus.Error:fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.NotConnected: This interface is not connected: disconnect.
    dbus[544]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service'
    systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
    systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
    systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
    systemd-sleep[29426]: Suspending system...

death...```

From dmesg:

```File /var/log/journal/...journal corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing.```
  • One other comment, partially related.

The wiki suggests that I should have only one power management system installed, and in the list includes both systemd and acpid. I for some reason have both of those installed.

Could they be battling? Should I simply remove acpid?

Edit: They were battling. Seriously. Just read the wiki. It has all the answers, after having the courage to give it a whirl (and understanding that if you break it, you’ll just have to fix it.)!

I uninstalled acpid… which I think I stupidly installed to try and get some conky features working. Everything seems great now!

Posts 2Views 495