• After update to Gnome 3.20 I have many problems

Hi, I updated my system to Gnome 3.20 from gnome-unstable repo.
    (First problem: I had to replace lightdm to gdm because the stable lightdm was dependency error, but I solved this.)

After the Gnome update I have many problems with the default system parts.
    As you can see the attached picture, the blue toggle switches dissapiered from every menu, I can’t resize the windows with the mouse, the whole default programs look-a-like an ugly old Gnome surface. The lists are crowded and ugly. I can’t switch between the themes.

Any idea to get back the nice Gnome surface without downgrade back to gnome 3.18?

Thank you!0_1458988652483_Képernyőkép erről: 2016-03-26 11-25-10.png

• The only idea I come up with at this early stage is trying to switch sessions (Gnome/Gnome Wayland). Which session are you using? If you are using Gnome, it might be a good idea to swith to Gnome Wayland as they are working hard to completely swith to it
    Also, did you check its behavor under GDM before restoring lightDM? I have found that, in my machine. under GDM it works better (especially under wayland session.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• GTK 3.20 broke backwards compatibility for themes. No themes written for previous versions will work properly on 3.20. It is a mess. You’ll have to switch to the default Adwaita theme if you want a functional environment.

• Change your theme to Adwaita. I think that @lots-0-logs is fixing Numix at this very moment.

EDIT: I’m not crazy. I just answered at the same time that lots.0.logs did :grinning:

• @lots-0-logs , I just realised the meaning of your aggresive comment in G+. Are there any thoughts/discussions on damping Gnome as the Antergos default DE in favor of KDE?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @lots.0.logs said:

GTK 3.20 broke backwards compatibility for themes. No themes written for previous versions will work properly on 3.20. It is a mess. You’ll have to switch to the default Adwaita theme if you want a functional environment.

Nothing like a kick in the crotch once again from the Gnome Devs.

@anarch Yay :joy:

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @lots.0.logs Thank you! I changed the theme back to Adwaita, and much better! :)
    Not so nice like the antergos default, but it works well!

One little thing: I have an exclamation mark before the “Shell theme” and I can’t select theme there because no items in the drop-down list. Why?

• You have to go into the Tweak Tool and enable the User Shell Themes extension.

• @Grey-Wind Thanks the idea! I enabled the “User themes” in the tweak tool and it works now! :+1:

• Thanks for [Solve]-ing the topic.

• @antrbllR said:

Hi, I updated my system to Gnome 3.20 from gnome-unstable repo.
    (First problem: I had to replace lightdm to gdm because the stable lightdm was dependency error, but I solved this.)

After the Gnome update I have many problems with the default system parts.
    As you can see the attached picture, the blue toggle switches dissapiered from every menu, I can’t resize the windows with the mouse, the whole default programs look-a-like an ugly old Gnome surface. The lists are crowded and ugly. I can’t switch between the themes.

Any idea to get back the nice Gnome surface without downgrade back to gnome 3.18?

Thank you!0_1458988652483_Képernyőkép erről: 2016-03-26 11-25-10.png

Hi man, how are all with gnome 3.20? I’ll recommend you take easy and wait for an oficial antergos update, you know, for avoid problems.

• Hi - try intsalling a custom theme - I am using Kiss with Faba minimal and Gnome 3.20 has been perfect so far for me - smooth and fast - however you will need at least 4 G RAM to have some buffer after the system has settled in.

• @borkoto I have several extensions on mine and the ram usage has been as high as 1.7gb for Gnome shell alone. I only have 4gb, I’m maxed out. Still it has been smooth as silk. I suppose the extensions cause the higher footprint but I don’t think I would want to live without them.

Posts 13Views 4982