• Screen tearing, pages not closing well.

I am new to Antergos. Websites don’t close as they should, the window flickers and is stuck. I try every combination I can think of to close it, I think it es closed but for some blasted reason, it does not want to accept it. Out of sheer desperation I found by ‘right clicking,’numerous times I could get the wallpaper up.

Th wall paper does not fill the screen , there being a slit down the left side. Pages tear, if that is the right nomenclature, when I scroll up or down on page. Small window containing information on what I should or should not do, more times then naught don’t appear.

I’d like to give Antergos a fair try, but it is hard when it seems to be out to frustrate me. I am looking for help in making my way around this Distro.

Humboldt

• @humboldt are your drivers updated? o try to switch to a later kernel. Maybe the kernel doesn’t like your graphics card

• I wondered about the the drivers but could not figure out where to check up on them. My PC is an HP Pavilion with an AMD E1-2500 Accelerated Processor, and a AMD Radeon HD 8240 Graphic. I went to ‘Add & Remove Software”, to see whether I could install up to date drivers? I was looking for something along the ‘ati’ line.

Kernel at 4.4.5-1, I think that is fairly up to date. I installed:

“nvidia 361.28-4”

Nvidia Drivers for Linux.

I failed to install the “Nvidia 304.xxx” series and the “Nvidia 340” ones. I am gong to install:

“nvidia-340xx”, and its dependecies. I would seem that I can not go back to those thrilling ‘drivers’ of yester-year.

• Thanks for the links. I will read them carefully, and if I have any questions before I do anything I will ask,

• Nvidia is not = ATI Radeon
    If you have successfully installed ATI and are still having problems the below may apply, if not stop reading 😛

Some tearing also depends on which desktop environment you chose. If you went with the default Gnome3 then you should be fine, if however you went with XFCE tearing is a known issue.

• I have my Antergos with a KDE desktop environment. As to the other matters, I am still at a loss. I have read both articles a couple times at least an have come away scratching my head. I will continue to peruse both articles in an attempt to either better understand both or formulate questions suited to what I would be trying to understand as pertains my situation.

• @humboldt said:

I am new to Antergos. I’d like to give Antergos a fair try, but it is hard when it seems to be out to frustrate me.

Welcome, then. As a new user always bear in mind that Antergos is practically Arch Linux. So, it is always a good idea to consult their forum & wiki. A way larger community, a lot more chances to find something that covers you.
    From the above link, there is this (concerning a KDE bug…
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

Also, Google is…our friend (not). I have come up with these results. I hope a fix from either the Arch or the KDE communities might be of help. (Some title descriptions read very similar to yours).
    https://www.google.gr/search?q=Archl+Linux+screen+tearing+KDE+AMD+Radeon+HD+8240+Graphic+drivers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=KhPvVrieEceeaMa_i7AD#q=Archl+Linux+screen+tearing+KDE+AMD+

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I was hesitant to try the suggestions given, so I reinstalled Antergos with a Gnome DE and since then I have not had any tearing as I had with the KDE desktop environment.

I waited to be sure thre would not be an issue and so far there has not been.

• Glad to see you sorted it out, without your DE of choice, though, @humboldt

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• There is a possibility I will want to try installing Antergos with the KDE desktop, and I may face the terror of screen taering. I may need to keep some of the lnks offered, just in case.

Posts 11Views 2662
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.