• Request for stickies on ALL forums.

When newcomers to this forum post, in most cases it leads to those people not knowing or not being aware that there is a sticky (only one) on how to post output from their terminal.

I can imagine it must be somewhat confusing on how to do this when the information on how to do this is not readily available on ALL forums.

Was wondering if such a sticky could be applied to all the forums so this information is handily available when needed.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• I’ll see what I can do when I get home in 30mins. I’d assume the sticky is up in the installation section, anything else to add to that one?

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

1. Not sure at the moment about adding anything else other than maybe just a simple post with simple instructions on how to correctly use coding tags. But such a post should be evident in all the relevant sub-forums such as the Pacman section, the Newbie section, the Kernel and hardware section, the Multi media and games section, the any other relevant section of the board.

2. That along with maybe another and separate post on how to gather and possibly post system logs. It’s not always possible to directly post them so perhaps a post on gathering/posting for system logs could also include the notion to use a paste bin service.
      But I feel that if providing information on posting logs directly into the post, then for sure it should include to use the correct coding methods. Otherwise people will just copy/paste and not be familiar with that idea to include tags.

3. Finally, one other idea that comes to mind is having a Tutorial sub-section in the Community Contributions sub forum. There are some tuts that I have seen on this board and to be honest, having them scattered ONLY within the Community Contributions along with other contributions such as softs made by others, wallpapers contributions, etc…kind of makes the board look a bit messy and/or untidy and/or less organized.

So the idea of having something like that would really help to direct people posting new tutorials and even looking for them in a section that is dedicated to that kind of work.

Or maybe a seperate section? Here is a great tutorial; however, the OP probably didn’t know that there is a contribution or tutorial section:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4163/how-to-installing-to-btrfs-subvolume

So I curious in expressing that perhaps a Tutorials section could be more prominent as a separate sub forum for the sake of visibility?

1. Anything I can’t think of at the moment that some one else could post or yourself might have.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: Almost forgot. What about a direct link near the top bar: The one that is all blue and has links to the Antergos Wiki, User Notifications, Chats, etc… to the ARCH WIKI itself.

Useful because we utilize a distribution based on ARCH and much of our settings/ tweaks, the way the distro works, etc is directly related to the information that is available from the ARCH WIKI.

This way, we make our forum board available with handy links rather than force newcomers to the distro to Google for the ARCH WIKI, let alone probably not even be aware of the fact that it exists.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• Loving the ideas. A separate tutorial section would be awesome or even a way to sticky some of the more prevalent articles that get asked about often. For example I expanded on a tutorial on how to set up dual boot with Windows/Antergos yet I still see a lot of questions about it in the installation sub forum that have already been answered with that tutorial. Having some basic tutorials stickied would help to fix some redundancy as far as questions go.

As for the linking with the ARCH wiki itself, I like the idea although Antergos already has a Wiki as well as with Antergos becoming more and more unique the less options in the ARCH wiki that may apply to problems found in Antergos.

• @Modisc said:

Finally, one other idea that comes to mind is having a Tutorial sub-section in the Community Contributions sub forum. There are some tuts that I have seen on this board and to be honest, having them scattered ONLY within the Community Contributions along with other contributions such as softs made by others, wallpapers contributions, etc…kind of makes the board look a bit messy and/or untidy and/or less organized.

We actually do not want tutorials posted on the forum. The Wiki is the appropriate place for such information. I know there are a few tutorials currently on the forum but we always try to encourage the author (or anyone else who has the time) to move the information to the wiki. Once it has been added to the wiki it should be deleted from the forum to avoid confusion. We want there to be only one place to look for tutorials/tips/docs, and that place is the Wiki :wink:

• Isn’t the wiki still non-accessible? Last I checked there is no way to log in to actually post anything. Also it would be nice to tell the search engine to search either the forum or the wiki. Just thought I’d mention that as an option. Also the search engine may need work in general. I found if I type a word in I get a slew of things not related to what I’m searching.

• @linuxhelmet said:

As for the linking with the ARCH wiki itself, I like the idea although Antergos already has a Wiki as well as with Antergos becoming more and more unique the less options in the ARCH wiki that may apply to problems found in Antergos.

Our WIKI is pretty small compared to the Arch Wiki.
    Only just a handful of information available. For example, “pacman” is only found on the Arch Wiki. You wouldn’t see that on the Antergos Wiki.
    Using that as an example is what I was referring to @linuxhelmet . A link to their WIKI would be a remarkable and educational tool that new users may only be made aware of if it is actually visible.
    For example: Windows users > Antergos User.
    In my opinion, they probably are not intelligent to the fact it exists until they are informed of it.

@linuxhelmet said:

I Also the search engine may need work in general. I found if I type a word in I get a slew of things not related to what I’m searching.

This I agree with.
    When I do a search as well, too many non-specific results return that show no relevancy. You wind up with far too many page results.
    I would not be surprised to read from a newcomer that has tried to SEARCH and wound up with (perhaps) results that were near the end of page results. Hence, they give up to SEARCH because it is just too far away to come across to.

However, that might just be the SEARCH algorithm in place. I would think that, that is the fault of the author of that particular algorithm script, not the forum itself.

@lots.0.logs said:

We want there to be only one place to look for tutorials/tips/docs, and that place is the Wiki

Also, with the tutorials being posted in the forum rather than the wiki, the posts are not being removed towards the wiki. Many of them retain their initial placement.
    It really makes the place look “cluttered” and to some point not organized.
    " DO NOT POST TUTORIALS IN THE FORUM" , post perhaps?

With what @linuxhelmet said about the Antergos Wiki not being wholly accessible in some way, that may be, though I have never really had a need to post there and hence can not confirm said concern.

• @Modisc I have been trying to find time to create an Antergos wiki with Mediawiki. Using a normal wiki software I think would bring more people in to using it. Our current wiki looks more like a blog or a format close to one, I wouldn’t use the current wiki at all if it contained has much as the Arch wiki.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• MediaWiki?
    That’s interesting and I think would work well.

• @Modisc It’s the same thing Arch uses for their wiki.

• oh, ok. I didnt’ know that.

• @Wyn said:

I have been trying to find time to create an Antergos wiki with Mediawiki. Using a normal wiki software I think would bring more people in to using it. Our current wiki looks more like a blog or a format close to one, I wouldn’t use the current wiki at all if it contained has much as the Arch wiki.

Creating an alternative wiki is not the way to improve things and it certainly will not help Antergos. If anyone has concerns about the wiki or ideas to improve it, we’re glad to hear them. However, we’re not changing the software to mediawiki or anything else for that matter. What we will absolutely do is make changes to the current wiki to address any concerns that are brought to our attention. Though for us to do that, we need to be made aware of such concerns. This is the first I’ve heard of the concern you mentioned. I will see what I can do about it as soon as I have some time :wink:

• @linuxhelmet said:

Isn’t the wiki still non-accessible? Last I checked there is no way to log in to actually post anything.

Also, just to be clear the wiki has been working perfectly fine for a long time. I’m not sure when was the last time you checked but I assure you there are no issues logging into it now. It shares the same login as the forum.

• One more thing about the subject of this forum topic (how to properly format posts in the forum). I added a “code” button to the toolbar of the editor. Also, there has always been a “help” link in the top right corner of the text box though it was kind of small and was gray. I increased the size and made it darker which should make it more noticeable. If you click the help button you will be presented with a link to a full markdown cheatsheet.

0_1458589289012_2016-03-21_02-34-59-PM.png

• @lots.0.logs

This is the first I’ve heard of the concern you mentioned. I will see what I can do about it as soon as I have some time

I brought it up in irc a few months ago but I’m not sure if it made it’s way up the chain :).

• THANK YOU SO MUCH @lots-0-logs FOR THE CODE TAGS BUTTON!

End CAPSLK

I will post what I get every time I try to log into the wiki. I do understand @lots-0-logs wanting to keep the wiki they have currently.

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

EDIT:
    I see what is going on now. It logged me into the wiki and I didn’t even notice it. What I thought was that because I was seeing the error message above ^ that it ment I wasn’t logged in. While in reality it HAD logged me in and everything works fine, I just THOUGHT it hadn’t due to the “No results found” error popping up every time I log in.
    Sorry for the confusion!

• @linuxhelmet Hmm…what steps do you take exactly to see no results found page?

• All I do is click wiki > login > then once I’m logged in it automatically shows the following:

0_1458831162490_Screenshot_20160324_094812.png

Posts 18Views 1454