• Using LTS Kernel on install

Laptop is incompatible with Kernel 4.4, apparently something breaks power control with Skylake laptop chips or just my setup in Kernel 4.4 With that in mind, is it possible to setup a USB stick that boots to the LTS kernel instead of the normal bleeding edge one? Keeping in mind that even booting the normal kernel sends my fans to 100% and shuts my laptop down in around 30 seconds I don’t think using it is very desirable xD

• Here’s the Arch wiki on how to properly downgrade the kernel:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrading_packages

Please look through the “Downgrading the kernel” section carefully :)

• @Judas Thanks! Am I right in thinking this can be done on a system other than the one you are planning to boot from? Only I can’t mount it on my laptop since I have no Arch install on it, only Ubuntu. However, my desktop has pure Arch. Can I safely mount and downgrade the kernel on the USB?

• @Jako81624 said:

@Judas Thanks! Am I right in thinking this can be done on a system other than the one you are planning to boot from? Only I can’t mount it on my laptop since I have no Arch install on it, only Ubuntu. However, my desktop has pure Arch. Can I safely mount and downgrade the kernel on the USB?

One way I can think of doing this would be to create a Live USB with persistence (about 2 GB for persistence mode should suffice), boot it into a virtual machine, downgrade the kernel on that USB with pacman as you would downgrade anything else, shutdown, and try booting with that USB on your laptop.

Posts 4Views 903