• How simple is installing Gnome 3?

Have just installed Antergos with the XFCE DE and was pondering installing Gnome 3 alongside it. I’ve had a look at the wiki and searched the forum, but have come up blank. Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, I’ve tried to do this in the past, and as Gnome uses GDM and XFCE uses LXDM (I think), it’s always resulted in some sort of conflict. Any advice?

Many thanks.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

• Have just installed Antergos with the XFCE DE and was pondering installing Gnome 3 alongside it. I’ve had a look at the wiki and searched the forum, but have come up blank. Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, I’ve tried to do this in the past, and as Gnome uses GDM and XFCE uses LXDM (I think), it’s always resulted in some sort of conflict. Any advice?

Many thanks.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

• Lightdm is the display manager installed by default on antergos. Lightdm is a cross-desktop display manager and can be used for any de or wm, xfce has a different notification-daemon, besides that you shouldn’t have an issue, they should be able to co-exist on your antergos install.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• Hi,

We have not officially switched over to lightdm yet. It is used in the testing iso’s though. Though it realy doesn’t make a difference whether its lightdm or not, as either would work. When you install GNOME it will automatically pull in GDM but it does not enable it. This will allow you to continue to use LightDM/LXDM if you want. If you would rather use GDM you can make the swap like this:

sudo systemctl disable lxdm  
    sudo systemctl enable gdm

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2twr7x3n said:

Hi,

We have not officially switched over to lightdm yet. It is used in the testing iso’s though. Though it realy doesn’t make a difference whether its lightdm or not, as either would work. When you install GNOME it will automatically pull in GDM but it does not enable it. This will allow you to continue to use LightDM/LXDM if you want. If you would rather use GDM you can make the swap like this:

sudo systemctl disable lxdm  
    > sudo systemctl enable gdm

Cheers![/quote:2twr7x3n]

Sorry for the misinformation, i need to do more research on the state of antergos prior, iv installed xfce recently but not gnome. Sorry again for my ignorance.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

Posts 6Views 2667