• Grub error: no such device after install

I installed Antergos on my Dell XPS 13, and after rebooting, the usual “Welcome to GRUB!” shows up, followed by an error - no such device: [a5cc04fd…]. Secure boot is turned off, booting is set to legacy only, and RAID is turned off in the BIOS

Running ls in grub rescue prints (hd0).

I have the default /boot, /, and swap partitions created by the installer (from lsblk -f😞
    /dev/nvme0n1p1 AntergosBoot a5cc04fd…
    /dev/nvme0n1p2 AntergosRoot 319593a9…
    /dev/nvme0n1p5 AntergosSwap c9ef4943…

So how come GRUB can’t find the boot partition on the SSD?

• Have you tried to rerun grub setup?
    Boot from the iso, open a terminal and run this commands:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot
    sudo arch-chroot /mnt
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

When you run grub-mkconfig check that everything is ok.

P.S. I have no experience whatsoever with /nvme devices, but I think it should work the same way…

• Thanks for the help 🙂

grub-mkconfig does error, mostly with the message “ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid”, and then that it can’t connect to /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket. The only other thing that looks wrong is grub-probe errors because it cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1, but that is the USB device I’m running the live image from. Does it just assume that /dev/sda1 is the boot partition (unfortunately you can’t specify a disk here)?

• @mcnutty You can ignore those dmraid/lvm errors.

About /dev/sda1, that’s a problem, it should not install there. Maybe Cnchi installed your grub in /dev/sda?

I’d try to reinstall grub in /dev/nvme0n1 this way:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot
    sudo arch-chroot /mnt
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    sudo grub-install /dev/nvme0n1

• Reinstalling grub as above doesn’t change the error (and completes with no errors).

• OK.

Boot with grub, and when you see the boot menu press ‘e’ (without the quotes).

Then, replace all [a5cc04fd…] occurrences with /dev/nvme0n1p1 and all 319593a9… with /dev/nvme0n1p2

Does it help? If it does, I’ll explain how to make this permanent.

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but there isn’t am opportunity for me to edit the options - grub goes straight into rescue mode (there is no countdown). If I run ls (hd0,2)/ then I just get ‘no such partition’. The set command reveals the prefix as (hd0)/grub - strange that grub doesn’t seem to be able to read the partitions from the hard disk. I was under the impression that one would expect to see partitions listed under ls, and that the root should be a partition and not a drive.

• Probably relevant: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47447
    "The grub (2.02.beta2) we have does not include the later patch added for proper NVMe support, without it grub-install will appear to run fine but grub will be drop to rescue shell when boot, as long as --boot-directory (by default /boot) is on a partition of a NVMe drive. Since NVMe drive is getting common it is necessary to include this"

• Problem “solved” by using systemd-boot instead of GRUB.

• Hi @mcnutty , could you please elaborate on how you solved the issue? How to make systemd-boot the default?

• Nevermind, I just used the option in the GUI installer and selected systemd-boot instead of grub. Everything working beautifully, thanks!

grub99 booting37 booting problem18 Posts 11Views 4554
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.