• im leaving kde and heading back to openbox

:bowtie:

i gave kde a run as my main desktop for a few months and it was pretty nice 👍 but its hard to give up on openbox 🙂 my main reason for trying out kde was wayland but sounds like this is going to take a long time to sort out and openbox should have plenty of life left. ill ride with openbox until its no longer an option 👍

there really is nothing that kde has that makes me want to use it over openbox. i do like that its very customizable which coming from openbox is so important. everyone has a certain way of using their desktop and openbox just fits perfect!

all hail OPENBOX! HAIL!! HAIL!! 😆

0_1456953110280_tumblr_m578cl3MnD1rsyukao1_r1_1280.jpg

• "Is wayland replacing the X server?

It could replace X as the native Linux graphics server, but I’m sure X will always be there on the side. I imagine that Wayland and X will coexist in two ways on a Linux desktop: Wayland is a graphics multiplexer for a number of X servers. Linux today typically only uses one X server for GDM and the user session, but we’ll probably see that move to a dedicated GDM X server, an X server for user sessions (spawning more on the fly as more users log in) and maybe a dedicated screensaver/unlock X server. Right now we rely on VT switching to move between X servers, and it’s horrible. We have no control over what the transitions look like and the VT ioctls are pretty bad. Wayland provides a solution here, in that it can host several X servers as they push their root window to Wayland as surfaces. The compositor in this case will be a dedicated session switcher that will cross-fade between X servers or spin them on a cube.

Further down the road we run a user session natively under Wayland with clients written for Wayland. There will still (always) be X applications to run, but we now run these under a root-less X server that is itself a client of the Wayland server. This will inject the X windows into the Wayland session as native looking clients. The session Wayland server can run as a nested Wayland server under the system Wayland server described above, maybe even side by side with X sessions. There’s a number of intermediate steps, such as running the GNOME screen saver as a native wayland client, for example, or running a composited X desktop, where the compositor is a Wayland client, pushing the composited desktop to Wayland. "
    https://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch it will be interesting to see what happens. a big step in the linux world.

Posts 3Views 831
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.