• zfs, zpool "invalid instruction"

I tried to install with the root filesystem in ZFS. I just used one drive and planned to attach a second as mirror later.

However, the zfs and zpool commands all give the strange error message “invalid instruction.” Or maybe it is “illegal instruction.” I no longer have this installed because I went back to PC-BSD.

I decided to try antergos because I’d read that it took the hassle out of ZFS-on-root in linux. I was reformatting anyway since I was upgrading my pool to larger disks (Old ones had 512 byte sectors and the new drives are 4096 byte sectors, and there is no way to convert AFAIK.).

Anyway, ZFS has huge potential to take the hassles out of backup and to relieve the uncertainty of bit rot. I hope you guys get it working on linux for desktop end users. (It seems like other Linux distros are not interested in ZFS for the desktop end-user: easy automated setup of mirrors and snapshots.) The PC-BSD GUI ZFS utilities are a little clunky but porting them would be a great help on linux ZFS, which can currently only be administered by command line word salad (e.g. zpool attach tank device1 device2 ) where it is very easy to accidentally format the wrong drive and there is no obvious way to tell EXACTLY how much space is free (zpool list and zfs list give different results!). Needless to say, snapshots also are a confusing, hairy mess without some sort of GUI to INTUITIVELY organize them.

EDIT: my hardware is a Thinkpad x201 laptop with i7 processor and 8GB RAM.

• However, the zfs and zpool commands all give the strange error message “invalid instruction.” Or maybe it is “illegal instruction.” I no longer have this installed because I went back to PC-BSD.

That’s a pitty, as we can’t find out what was wrong. Did you get this message while installing or once the system was installed?

Cheers!

• The error happened after the system was fully installed and booted from the hard drive.

There were several “invalid instruction” messages as the system was booting, but they went by too quickly to make much sense of. I might swap out an old hard drive to look into this on the weekend when I have more time. It is not too hard to switch hard drives with this model of thinkpad.

What is that strange version of top in your distribution with all the fancy graphs?

btw, the forum software is dreadful! It looks like it was designed to be used on a cell phone or tablet. How come I can’t see the original message I am replying to while typing the reply? (Gentoo or esp. FreeBSD have the best forums, IMHO.)

• I might swap out an old hard drive to look into this on the weekend when I have more time.

That would be very helpful.

What is that strange version of top in your distribution with all the fancy graphs?

It’s the Arch top, we didn’t change anything, so all credit goes to them.

btw, the forum software is dreadful! It looks like it was designed to be used on a cell phone or tablet. How come I can’t see the original message I am replying to while typing the reply? (Gentoo or esp. FreeBSD have the best forums, IMHO.)

To be honest, I do not fancy flashy designs so at first I didn’t like it, too. I have to say that with time you get used to it.
    About your complain, you can make your answer screen smaller or bigger with the black arrow that shows on the left, thus enabling you to see more of the message you’re replying to.

Cheers!

• I couldn’t wait till the weekend and decided to give it another shot on an external USB drive.
    The error is “illegal instruction.”

Right after installing, it is the first thing on the screen when the computer reboots. After that, things seem normal enough except for zfs and zpool not working.

The only thing I can do is zpool status. zpool list, zfs list, zpool attach all result in “illegal instruction.” (Without the ability to add and remove drives, it is kind of pointless to have zfs.)
    My plan was to install zfs to just one drive and then attach a second external USB drive and let zfs resilver.
    The last time, I installed to a different hard drive connected internally to SATA so the problem is not specific to the particular drive/controller.

• I took the drive out of the Thinkpad x201 (Nehalem i7) and put it in a Haswell i7 laptop and there are no more “illegal instruction” errors. zfs,zpool, everything I try works as expected. I guess older i7s are not compatible with some of Arch’s x86_64 optimization?

Unfortunately, I clicked yes on when prompted for automatic updates, it downloaded a new kernel and now I can’t boot because the zfs modules were not rebuilt for the new kernel. Is Arch/Antergos incompatible with DKMS? There seems to be some (confusing, inconclusive) discussion of problems with pacman and DKMS over at the Arch wiki. (Btw, The Arch wiki is confusing as all hell: too much generality and redirection, too few specific examples of how to do common tasks. Like a bad math book, LOL.)

Can I turn off automatic updates in Antergos right after installing?

PS. Not sure which version of top Arch is using by default but I found an even better fancy version of top: htop.

• Hi,

Latest pacman version (5.0) uses triggers. That means that we can finally do postinstall commands after all updates. This means that we can update zfs after a new kernel has been installed.

Sadly, this needs that we update our PKGBUILD’s, and we still haven’t done it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support
    https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/45ao5b/pacman_hooks_for_dkms/

And what it’s worst, dkms does not work because pacman stops it (the service). I don’t get why it does that, but I have seen it with my own eyes.

Can I turn off automatic updates in Antergos right after installing?

sudo systemctl stop pamac
    sudo systemctl disable pamac
    sudo pacman -Rnsc pamac

EDIT: There’s already a dkms hook in my system . It takes care of updating dkms modules. Everybody should see how, when a new kernel version is installed, all kernel modules are updated, too.

Cheers!

Posts 7Views 1207