• Password not recognised in terminal

I have just installed antergos but cannot use the terminal because it does not recognise the password. This is strange as I use the password to login

• @Pincher

Check the contents of /etc/vconsole.conf

Which keymap are you using (which language).

Cheers!

• @karasu Hi there,
    I have KEYMAP=uk

• @Pincher said:

I have KEYMAP=uk

That’s fine.

Do you use more than one keyboard layout? Is it possible that the keyboard is switched to another layout while the password is being typed in? Try to type it in simply at the bash prompt:

$ ThisIsMyPassword

Is it correct?

• @just I have just noticed that my keyboard has indeed changed or registered incorrectly. But, this is irrelevant surely because I type the password in on start up and it makes no difference what the keyboard is set to as I type the keys that I recognise and that opens the OS then at the terminal the same keys are recognised.
    Question? If I reinstall and use say a US key board and this works will I be able to change the key board to UK, this may indicate the problem if after changing the fault re-occurs.
    Cheers,

Pincher

• @Pincher said:
    Ooops! typo.
    … the terminal the same keys~~ are~~ recognised.
    should read the same keys are not recognised
    Sorry guys

Pincher

• @Pincher said:

@just I have just noticed that my keyboard has indeed changed or registered incorrectly.

Could you be more specific? What is wrong with the keyboard?

But, this is irrelevant surely because I type the password in on start up and it makes no difference what the keyboard is set to as I type the keys that I recognise and that opens the OS then at the terminal the same keys are recognised.

Wrong.

On startup display manager uses the keyboard layout it reads from vconsole.conf. UK in your case. So the password is entered and recognized correctly.

A graphical DE, once started, uses keyboard layouts defined in other places and with other means. Not in vconsole.conf. If there are multiple layouts defined inside the DE, only one of them is set and used by default on startup. It is used not only in graphical apps, but also in terminals.

Example. I use five different layouts in every DE: English (UK), Finnish, Italian, Russian, English (US). On the computer I’m writing this post the physical keyboard has English (UK) layout. So vconsole.conf is set to UK. As in your case.

There’s no problem to enter the password in display manager. It reads the layout from vconsole.conf. I’m using mainly Mate. When I’m inside it, the DE sets the default keyboard layout to English (US). I have no idea, why. And uses English (US) everywhere, including terminals.

English (UK) and English (US) are very similar one to another. In most cases I even don’t notice it. But it’s almost impossible to type in some language-specific special chars in terminal without switching to the correct layout.

Say, if a password uses some English (UK) special chars that don’t exist in English (US) keyboard, it will be possible to enter the password in display manager (at login), and impossible to repeat the same password in terminal once you’re in DE.

Question? If I reinstall and use say a US key board and this works will I be able to change the key board to UK,…

Yes, without a problem.

this may indicate the problem if after changing the fault re-occurs.

It’s not a fault. It’s a misunderstanding how multiple keyboard layouts are used and work in Arch.

Good luck.

• @Pincher said:

@just I have just noticed that my keyboard has indeed changed or registered incorrectly.

Can you be more specific? What keyboard layout has it changed into / registered?

@Pincher said:

Question? If I reinstall and use say a US key board and this works will I be able to change the key board to UK,

You don t need to re-install it. If I were you, I would just add English US alongside `English UK, set US as default and see what happens. If you don t know how to do it tell us what DE you are using so someone can give you instructions.
    I had sort of your problem since I m using greek. I can see that there is not similarity to US like yours in UK at all, BUT I had to set my keyboard in US on installation and THEN set my native language input BUT keeping US first choice (default).
    However, I was NOT able to enter my system at all from the very beginning, unlike you…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @just Hi there,
    Thank you for your advice.
    I can see what is happening but don’t understand why Arch cannot make it go away. Perhaps there is just more important issues to resolve.
    I will just turn this into a positive - I now have two passwords: 1 for the DE ( Gnome) and another for the terminal.
    The most important thing for me is I can get down to learning the arch way of doing things using 'Antergos’
    Thank you all for your help
    Pincher

• @Pincher You’re welcome. I still don’t have a clear idea what’s happening on your side, but as your Arch experience grows you’ll find that it is very, very easy to control all system’s aspects. Much easier than in any other distro.

If you consider this topic as [Solved], can you find a time to mark it as such? Thanks.

Posts 10Views 766