• Like 0

An Apology and Thank You to the Antergos Developers

Re: Zfs install option in installer

A while back, maybe a year ago, I first tried Antergos. It was at first a bit problematic insofar as the cnchi installer goes and I got ‘burned’ by a few rolling release updates.

Critical as I may have been, I stayed in the fold. So, this is my apology to the Developers for being perhaps ‘over the top’ in my critique.

Today, I still use Antergos for my day-to-day work. I won’t recommend it for anyone but the PC ‘technophile’. But it continues to make great strides in becoming the most ‘user-friendly’ Arch derivative to date.

In using Antergos, I saw fit to set up an external eSATA docking station with a WD 1TB HDD to run in cron at midnight a ‘Back in Time’ (root) backup of the PC’s internal 1TB SSD.

The PC’s SSD is formatted with conservative ext4 and the BIT runs like a ‘Swiss Watch’ using rsync to perform incremental backup differentials.

This week I see that Antergos has seized upon the opportunity to use ZFS.

WOW!

This is by far the best move from the developers and I thank you.

Sincerely,

Dietrich

• Like 0

@dtschmitz
    Thanks for your nice comments. Things like this really encourage us.

The PC’s SSD is formatted with conservative ext4 and the BIT runs like a ‘Swiss Watch’ using rsync to perform incremental backup differentials.

As it is now, if you choose ZFS Cnchi (the Antergos installer) installs all system (root) in ZFS. It gives you the option of RAIDZ if you want, but If you want to have root in ext4 you still have to do it manually (but zfs is available in our repository).

I know that what would be perfect is have zfs option in “advanced” installation, but I’m afraid this will have to wait.

Again, thanks!

Posts 2Views 326