• installed Antergos KDE

so I installed Antergos KDE then I installed Enlightenment with all it’s dependencies from the arch repo.
    I love it, I’m not use to it, as I’ve been using KDE for the longest time (used to run Linux mint)
    but to force my self to use enlightenment I would like to remove kde and kdm, and only have enlightenment (in hindsight I should have installed openbox then enlightenment)
    I know some are testing enlightenment as it might be part of the future Antergos family and would like to know if you noticed any issue?
    would you recommend openbox even thou I was reading that you might stop support for it ?
    as anyone removed kde after installing a different WM or DE and if so anything should I watch out for?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but any help is appreciated

Cheers

Nix

• @nix i havent heard of dropping openbox anytime soon. i would highly recommend openbox.

• @megaman
    Thanks for the quick reply, you know what, I havn’t restored my data from mint yet, I think i’ll re-install it again but with openbox, and add enlightenment on it, like this I get to compare and see which one I like more
    keep in mind that my only experience on Linux is kde, so the 2 will be totally new and not sure what to expect

• @nix going from kde to openbox is a pretty big change lol im using kde right now but was on openbox for many years.

when i want to sample different desktops i check them out on youtube. they demo them all very well.

• I love Enlightenment. It’s fast and pretty. The only thing is that you’ll have to change a little bit your workflow, so, as you said, force you to use it for a long period of time before ditching it.

If you’re intrepid, you can install a base system and then install Enlightenment on it (but it’s a good idea to install Openbox and then Enlightenment, it will be easier and faster).

There is on problem, though. I experienced a bug that was present in Enlightenment 19 and 20. I don’t know why, but sometimes I couldn’t select a window by clicking on it. It was VERY annoying, and as I didn’t want to spend time trying to find out what was happening I installed Cinnamon (but I prefer E).

About Openbox, we will support it as long as Xorg is available. When wayland becomes the only option maybe we will have to abandon it (but I do not see this happening in the near future).

Cheers!

• @karasu said:

About Openbox, we will support it as long as Xorg is available. When wayland becomes the only option maybe we will have to abandon it (but I do not see this happening in the near future).

Are there such plans? From what I have read I( think in the Wayland page), one of the reasons why Wayland is an indepentent project is that the two (Xorg & Wayland) are going to co-exist alongside, with no plans for Xorg to be finally abandoned …

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Yes, I didn’t explain myself. What I meant is that in the end Wayland will become the default option, without Xorg being installed at all (but you will be able to install it, of course).

But it’s not clear when wayland (and all toolkits) will be ready for this.

Cheers!

Posts 7Views 919