• Sudden freezes with Intel Pentium N3540

Hi, I have been experiment constant freezes running on a Intel Pentium N3540 CPU (Bay Trail), basically all distros with a recent kernel freezes after some time running, it seems very random, sometimes it freezes after 5 minutes and sometimes it may take several hours, sometimes it is triggered while watching videos on YouTube with flash and without, and sometimes while browsing the web without any kind of plugin or heavy content. The only distro that manages to run without freezing is Debian with Kernel 3.16 anything with a newer kernel freezes. I saw a thread in the Arch forum that a bug was causing this in this line of CPUs and was supposed to be fixed in kernel 4.2, however, I am running 4.4.1 and I am having issues.

Any idea how to fix this? This is the log of the last time the system froze.

Cheers!
    0_1456247940172_logs.tar

• @AlexMex90, have you tried the LTS kernel to see if it gets any better??

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I selected the LTS kernel during installation, latest LTS is 4.4 isn’t it?

• No, it s 4.1.18-1
    https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=linux-lts

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Mmmmm, I would like to report an installer bug then! :)

I am pretty sure it installed the package linux-lts however I ended up with 4.4 but I thought it was OK because from what I know 4.4 is also a LTS kernel.

• Don t rush on the report!:smile: If you have installed it there should be an option on your login screen to choose which kernel you get in your system. Can you see this option on your login screen?

• No, I don’t think there is one, LightDM only lists the desktop, which in my case is Cinnamon. Should the option be there or somewhere else?

• Yes, in your Grub menu, that is shown just when you start your computer.

LTS option in the installer (Cnchi) installs both kernels (latest and LTS), so it’s the user who chooses which one to boot with.

Maybe we could reconsider this and make LTS option install only the LTS kernel (but I think installing both kernels is nicer, maybe we could make LTS default?)…

Cheers!

• @karasu said:

Maybe we could reconsider this and make LTS option install only the LTS kernel (but I think installing both kernels is nicer, maybe we could make LTS default?)…

Noooooo! Keep it as it is! The LTS kernel is a little buggy in my case! It is luggy (workable, though).
    @AlexMex90 , sorry. I didn t mean your “login screen” but your “grub”, as Karasu corrected me.:thumbsup:

• I’d vote to leave it as it is. I liked the fact that I could install the LTS kernel, but I wouldn’t have wanted it set up as the default.

• Ha! I was very confused “from lightdm? maybe he means GRUB” But I didn’t remember having more than one option at boot, now that I am in front of my computer now I see other kernels are hidden! nice! prettiest GRUB menu I have ever seen! I will test the 4.1.18-1-lts kernel now, which I just remember, my synaptics touchpad is affected by a bug in this version… sigh… as long it doesn’t freeze!

• Hm… strange, I thought I added my comment to the thread, however it is not here.

Anyways, LTS Kernel freezes too. I think I might be affected by this bug:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

• @AlexMex90 said:

Hm… strange, I thought I added my comment to the thread, however it is not here.

You remember well. I also cannot see some of my comments since kast night. I saw elsewhere that @karasu noticed he lost a comment. The server went down this morning (for an instance).:smile:

Posts 13Views 1500