• virtualbox not working on new install

Hello. I just finished installing Antergos, but can’t figure out why virtualbox isn’t working. This never happened before.
    Host modules and host dkms are installed. But when I try to start it I get this error:
    [[email protected] ~]$ virtualbox
    WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
    available for the current kernel (4.4.1-2-ARCH) or it failed to
    load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQtCore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

• I have got the same problem. Could you try to run the following command:
    $ sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

Does work and will load the missing modules. Problem is that it is not a permanent solution. I my case I have to do the same every time after a reboot.

After writing the above I run Vbox as root in terminal.
    This gave me the error message again. I ran:
    $ sudo rcvboxdrv

This will compile the missing drivers for your current kernel. Would this solve the error message?
    Not sure if this will be permanent or not. Will have a look at it tomorrow.

Never to old to learn.

• Hi,

Guys, try to install virtualbox-host-dkms to see if it helps.

• I tried what you guys said but nothing. I’ll try with the lts kernel to see if that make a difference.

• Hi,
    I know this topic is quite old but i found a solution for the error:

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed: libQtCore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You need to install the Qt4 package from he repo and that will resolve it :)

• You have to install linux-headers qt4 and the virtualbox dkms package

After that modprobe vboxdrv and try to launch it again.

There is a post on the fourms explaining the whole process. And maybe the wiki?

Cheers! I don't know what I'm talking about!

• Also know this is old but just spent 30 minutes figuring out VirtualBox issues so thought would save others trouble.

For anyone having problems with Virtual Box on Arch try installing via pacman (sudo pacman -S virtualbox) instead of through Pamac or any other GUI.

Choose “virtualbox-host-modules-arch” when prompted instead of “virtualbox-host-dkms”

For more reference:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox

• @schnappi said in virtualbox not working on new install:

Choose “virtualbox-host-modules-arch” when prompted instead of “virtualbox-host-dkms”

Thank you for the advice @schnappi! I tried it and can guarantee it works:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

Posts 8Views 2349