• Like 0

How to install an external package

Hello: Ive downloaded a great App (Stremio) like a "tar.gz" package, and Ive extracted into Dowloads folder. I`m running OK the program, from “Stremio-runtime” file. But, obviously, I want to have a correct installing process and an Icon in Favorites. What must I do?

Thanks a lot!

• Like 0

@Pandalinux

As it is not a packaged application, you can install it wherever you want. Most normal would be to put it in /opt , but it’s your choice (you can also use /usr/local for this).

About the icon, you have to create a .desktop file and put it in /usr/share/applications (in the same directory you will find a lot of examples).

Cheers!

• Like 0

@karasu said:

@Pandalinux

As it is not a packaged application, you can install it wherever you want. Most normal would be to put it in /opt , but it’s your choice (you can also use /usr/local for this).

About the icon, you have to create a .desktop file and put it in /usr/share/applications (in the same directory you will find a lot of examples).

Cheers!

Thanks. But (cause my ignorance) I need to understand How install it. Which console comands must I use, Once extracted the “Tar.gz” package; resulted a Folder “Stremio 3.5xxx” with different kind of files (.bin, .os, .dat. .sh)
    When you say “put it in /opt”, for example; which element must I put there? The complete folder? Which operations on this folder (or files) are necesary to install it?

Thanks again and sorry (for my low tech level, and my strange English)

Alex

• Like 2

@Pandalinux

Do not install .tar.gz unless you’ve checked Aur first. You will eventually end up with a mess.

Stremio is on Aur: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/stremio-beta/

You can install with yaourt -S stremio-beta :+1:.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• Like 0

@Wyn Thanks a lot! Installed via Octopi and working fine!

Alex

Posts 5Views 777