• Urgent Help

I did " yaourt -S lib32-gtk-engine-murrine lib32-gdk-pixbuf2" after a reboot I dont get like the GUI to type my password for root. For example add/remove as well as updates and gparted or any other software which requires root need to be started from the terminal. I uninstalled those packages and rebooted but still same problem. Can any one help?

• Hi,

I don’t know what is your problem, but I doubt is related to installing those packages.

Check that you have polkit installed. Which DE are you using? Gnome3?

• @karasu said:

Hi,

I don’t know what is your problem, but I doubt is related to installing those packages.

Check that you have polkit installed. Which DE are you using? Gnome3?

Hello,

It has to be as everything was working fine rebooted and polkit no longer works on Mate, I also installed cinnamon same issue. I reinstalled polkit nothing still cant open packages that require root as well use the GUI updater/ installer cause cant type in root pass. Can you help me solve this problem very annoying issue…

• If you’re running MATE, try installing gnome-polkit package.

Check that the polkit agent is running (in a terminal, ps ax)

• @karasu said:

If you’re running MATE, try installing gnome-polkit package.

Check that the polkit agent is running (in a terminal, ps ax)

Hey,

I have it installed I also have mate-polkit installed to… what should I do? Also

systemctl status polkit.service

● polkit.service - Authorization Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/polkit.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2016-02-18 22:25:18 MST; 13min ago
    Docs: man:polkit(8)
    Main PID: 19864
    Tasks: 6 (limit: 512)
    CGroup: /system.slice/polkit.service
    └─19864 n/a

polkitd[19864]: Loading rules from directory /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
    polkitd[19864]: Finished loading, compiling and executing 5 rules
    polkitd[19864]: Reloading rules
    polkitd[19864]: Collecting garbage unconditionally…
    polkitd[19864]: Loading rules from directory /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
    polkitd[19864]: Loading rules from directory /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
    polkitd[19864]: Finished loading, compiling and executing 5 rules
    polkitd[19864]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-process:20034:39378432 (system bus name :1.422 [/usr/bin/pkttyagent --notify-fd 4 --fallback], object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, local
    systemd[1]: Started Authorization Manager.
    polkitd[19864]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:20034:39378432 (system bus name :1.422, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_CA.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
    ~
    ~

• @0x5876 It’s not enough just to install polkit and enable its service.

PolicyKit authentication agent must be explicitly launched for every user that is supposed to use administrative privileges.

In MATE it is ususally called polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1, and is found in /usr/lib/mate-polkit folder.

The easiest way to launch it is to add it to user’s Startup Applications:

/usr/lib/mate-polkit/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1

Good luck.

Edit. The agent’s entry should be present and enabled in Startup Applications by default. Re-enable or add it if it is missing.

• @just said:

@0x5876 It’s not enough just to install polkit and enable its service.

PolicyKit authentication agent must be explicitly launched for every user that is supposed to use administrative privileges.

In MATE it is ususally called polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1, and is found in /usr/lib/mate-polkit folder.

The easiest way to launch it is to add it to user’s Startup Applications:

/usr/lib/mate-polkit/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1

Good luck.

Edit. The agent’s entry should be present and enabled in Startup Applications by default. Re-enable or add it if it is missing.

Hey,

Ok I added it to startup will reboot and report back thanks for your help so far guys.

Posts 7Views 1080