• Newbie with improper order of install for dual-booting issue.

I’ve been using Antergos since I got my computer because I was very iffy on Windows 10 and did not have any other copies of Windows around. It’s been a very interesting experience! The ability to do so much, even if I’m not exactly the most linux-savvy user, is refreshing.

I’ve gotten a Windows 7 iso that I would like to use as a compatibility layer while I learn more about how things actually work under the hood of Antergos, so to speak, but I’m having difficulty setting up the dual-boot configuration.

I’ve been trying to research how to get it done online, but those are all with an existing Windows installation and bringing in the linux distribution. I tried to more or less overwrite Antergos with Windows to fix it upon booting, but it installed Windows in my HDD (Antergos is in my SSD) and breaks upon selecting Windows to boot into (No keyboard or mouse input).

I’d like to know if I need to use the disk partitioning tool or something else to wipe both drives clean so I can put a fresh windows 7 installation on this computer and bring in Antergos after that?

• @plsnobully said:

I’d like to know if I need to use the disk partitioning tool or something else to wipe both drives clean so I can put a fresh windows 7 installation on this computer and bring in Antergos after that?

Yes, you are. It’s best to wipe out all disks and pre-partition them before installing Windowz and Linux. It is possible to create as many partitions as one needs, but Windowz must be always installed in the very first one of them (usually sda1).

The best program to do it is probably GParted. There’s a LiveCD GParted version here.

It is not possible to install in a clean way any Windowz on a system with already installed Linux. Windowz will inevitably damage at least Linux boot loader. Windowz believes to be the only OS on Earth and doesn’t bother about other OSes during installation.

If you still want to use Windowz, always remember the rule of three F installing it:

1. It must be the First OS installed on a computer
    2. It must be installed on the First physical hard disk (on multi-disk computers)
    3. It must be installed in the First parttition on that disk

Good luck.

• @plsnobully said:

I’ve been trying to research how to get it done online, but those are all with an existing Windows installation and bringing in the linux distribution.

The reason there aren’t many/any tutorials for installing Windows on a system which is running Linux (and only Linux) is simply because Windows was (and for the most part still is) designed in such a way that it thinks it is the one, and only Operating System. Basically it expects that your drives will either have an existing installation of Windows or be empty. (more or less). The quickest way to get the end result you want is to format both drives using GParted (you can do it from the Antergos Live ISO) and then install Windows. After that you can install Antergos to have a working dual-boot system. Let us know how it goes and/or if you have any questions. Good luck :smile:

• @lots.0.logs Or you can do a partition for windows, big espace for windows partitions better, install windows, and then use live CD Antergos for reinstall grub2.

But, ever is easier install windows first, and a linux OS then.

• I’m back! I’m currently just with Windows 7, though I’m about to go through and reinstall Antergos.

I have three major partitions at the moment; I split my SSD between Windows and Antergos, and I have my HDD (of which I need to get a better version - or two - soon) as its own partition.

For installing Antergos, I was going to use the remaining 60 GB of the SSD and put the /home on the HDD. Is this too much room on the SSD? I know I can edit partitions later, but I don’t want to start it off as a big mess.

Posts 5Views 769