• Antergos as opposed to Arch as first experience really that bad?

Hello I’m relatively new to Antergos but I must admit I find it to be very interesting and from my small time using I loved it. I’m somewhat new to Linux I wouldn’t exactly say I’m completely green but I’m not a seasoned Linux Master. I’ve hear lots of debates and read many forums that insist if you really want to know Linux use Arch and that until you master installing Arch any of the other forks aren’t for you. Now I can respect that opinion but I prefer Antergos for it’s simplicity and functionality and it’s ease of installation. My question is this: if I skip Arch and go straight to Antergos am I really crippling myself and going to be unable to maintain my system? Most people on the other forums I’ve been on state that if you can’t master Arch installation then any other version you use will be unmanageable by the user. Now I’m not trying to start a giant comment war in regard to whether or not Arch is better than Antergos. I’m sure their both great systems in their own way I love Antergos and haven’t played with Arch so I can’t say. I’m simply wondering if I’m really going to be able effectively handle Antergos since I’m not what you would call a Linux Master or a seasoned Arch user. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies.

• @chris.bilconish24
    If you really want to know linux you can install linux from scratch. Gentoo’s less work than lfs but will still likely teach you more about how linux works than Arch.

If you have your important data regularly backed up and things become unmaintainable, or break, just reinstall. The level of expertise and knowledge required to keep an install running like clockwork indefinitely will likely depend upon the complexity of the setup.

Might be worth trying out an Arch install in a VM to get an idea of the nuts and bolts.

• I should state that I’ve attempted an Arch installation on multiple occasions and I’ve been pretty comfortable with the the process. The only problem I really ran into was that for some reason only about half of the actual machine was showing on the monitor. For some reason it was out of line and nothing I tired was able to get it to normal. I however was able to complete the majority of the installation before the limitation of having a half screen made it a bit to difficult to proceed. My real concern is that people like to say if you haven’t mastered Arch don’t bother with a fork is there any truth to that?

• regard to whether or not Arch is better than Antergos

For Antergos, this argument does not exist. Antergos is essentially Arch with an easy installer and using the Arch repos.

I’ve never believed in going “The Arch way”. If everyone’s recommendation is to follow the “How To Install” in the Arch wiki, why not automate the process? “The Arch Way” to installing to me is unproductive… busy-work. Managing Antergos is the same amount of work as maintaining an Arch system, you’ll learn regardless.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

regard to whether or not Arch is better than Antergos

For Antergos, this argument does not exist. Antergos is essentially Arch with an easy installer and uses the Arch repos.

I’ve never believed in going “The Arch way”. If everyone’s recommendation is to follow the “How To Install” in the Arch wiki, why not automate the process? “The Arch Way” to installing to me is unproductive… busy-work. I have no problem managing my system but if I can automate repetitive tasks why not?

I completely agree. If you can make something simpler why not. I just as a new user to the Arch based system had been hearing conflicting opinions and I just wanted to get someones opinion about Antergos. Thanks everyone for the help. I’m currently downloading the Antergos .iso and am super excited to soon be part of the Antergos user community. As I said I’ve previously used it before and I was very impressed.

• @chris.bilconish24

Enjoy :). Don’t hesitate to ask for help, we won’t bite ;).

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

@chris.bilconish24

Enjoy :). Don’t hesitate to ask for help, we won’t bite ;).

Thank you! Also small update I would like to say I got my antergos installed and running successfully alongside my Windows 7 drive in dual boot harmony and I couldn’t be happier.

• Ive used Arch and honestly I love it. If you can figure out how to install it, its worth every penny for what you get.
    Is Antergos better than Arch, is Archbang better?? or any other fork?
    There just different.
    You get the bonus of pacman and the awesomely amazing yaourt. But and for me this is the big big but. The one true difference between all the forks and pure Arch is what you get after. With Arch you log in to a system that is pretty much configured to your liking, where as all the forks you have to spend some time deleting all the bloat and making it yours.
    Are you a linux maister if you dont run Arch?
    I think that completely depends on where you want to go and for what purpose.
    And with that we run into the same conversation as always; which in my humble opinion. If your still learning and heading to where you want to go and are good with your system … go for it!

Antergos does make it a little more user friendly. but in all honesty, if you know how to use the terminal and read around, it doesnt really matter what distro your on because you will always use the terminal and figure stuff out.

Posts 8Views 1391