• wifi not found by installation

this is not new, I know but nothing that I found works for me. I have Acer Aspire small notebook with a Broadcom wifi interface. The network applet does not see it. ip link returns loopback 0. That’s about it. The kernel driver is bcma. I tried modprobe -r bcma then modprobe broadcom and modprobe bcma. Nothing helps. Could someone help me?

• Please, so we know exactly which interface chip you have, can you issue a lspci -nn and post the results here?

Thanks!

• this is the answer to lspci -nn: (I just left the network chips):

00:18.7 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7 [1022:1719]
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
    07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
    Thanks

Atheros

• Aha, Atheros works and can be seen by the system, Broadcom does not.

• I too have an Acer Aspire One netbook with a Broadcom adapter. What has worked for me is to install the ‘broadcom-wl’ package which I believe is available in the local repositories. You will need to connect to the router via an ethernet cable to perform this action. I’ve also noticed I need to re-install this package after updates to the Network related software.
    I hope this works for you.
    SJ

• @sjohri this worked for me but it also required removing the other running units and modprobe wl

• Hi SJohri,

thanks for your help. I did as you wrote and wifi started to work. Afterwards I looked it up in the Arch forum and they had it solved for a long time. It seems that every Mac Book has one or other Broadcom chip so it was a big problem.
    Thanks again for your help.

michal

• @michal If you believe that the question has been answered, would you like to mark the topic as [Solved]? You can find it under topic tools in your first post or at the bottom of this page.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn thanks for the info Wyn. I was wandering how to change the status. It is done.
    Thanks

Posts 9Views 1289