• \[SOLVED\]Brightness control on DELL laptop

Hi,
    I have a DELL Inspiron 5520 laptop, which I can’t manage the brightness’s level with key the functions key.
    I get nothing, when I pressed down.
    I got this article and I installed the i8k driver for smb bios but nothing.

On Linux Mint Debian Edition I can manage simply with function keys, just on arch kernel I can’t

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

• Hi,
    I have a DELL Inspiron 5520 laptop, which I can’t manage the brightness’s level with key the functions key.
    I get nothing, when I pressed down.
    I got this article and I installed the i8k driver for smb bios but nothing.

On Linux Mint Debian Edition I can manage simply with function keys, just on arch kernel I can’t

• I also use a DELL laptop and have tried numerous distros (more than I can keep track of lol). This is something I have yet to figure out how to resolve. I’ve have been trying to figure out what is included in Ubuntu & Fedora based distros that is NOT in any other distro that I have tried including openSUSE (suprisingly) that makes the brightness FN keys work. I keep putting it off to the side because other things come up. I will try to figure this out since you reminded me of the issue. In the meantime if you find anything you think is relevant please let me know!

• Hehehe,

I solved
    Thanks for the pointing to [Gábor Királyvári.[/url:21zxbd34]
    I added

acpi\_osi=Linux acpi\_backlight=vendor

to the kernelline, and now it’s working.]0

• Of course it would be something that simple!

*EDIT-- Just my luck…still not working…

• @I-sty I also had the sme issue to my brand new dell laptop.

INspiron 15 3000 series
    1TB HD
    8GB RAM
    Intel core i7 Processor.

I got this issue after upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 preview version.

searched a lot and finally got a better fix from this page. plz make a try.

credit http://ageofwindows.com

• Just for the record… I never experienced this on my oldish Dell Latitude E6500 since the beginning of my aquaintance with Arch/Arch based systems (almost 2 years back).

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I don’t use this hack now. But the brightness is working for me.

Here my kernel line:

linux	/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=b5ae36b5-781c-4fcb-a898-680e8c32bb4b rw quiet acpi_osi=Linux i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 CONFIG_FHANDLE=n

Posts 8Views 3314
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.