• HDD S.M.A.R.T. readout

I recently had a hard drive die on me. When I looked at the smart data with gnome-disk-utility it showed a very high number of read failures and “pre-fail” in just about every category. was to be expected from such an old hard drive.

so yesterday I went out and bought a western digital blue with 1TB. After reinstalling antergos, I looked at the smart data. It showed zero errors, said the drive is working perfectly, yet gnome disk utility shows prefail or old age in ALL categories. Is this a bug in the utility? So far the drive has 3 hours uptime. my old HDD had 1year and 2 months.

I’m getting paranoid. Should I just not worry, as long as there aren’t any read/write errors and no bad sectors?
    Any input would be appreciated. The drive has a 2 year warranty, so swapping it for a different one shouldn’t be a problem. If I should do that, that is.

Distro hopping junkie
    Developer for [Entropy GNU/Linux[/url:22cla13f]]0

• I recently had a hard drive die on me. When I looked at the smart data with gnome-disk-utility it showed a very high number of read failures and “pre-fail” in just about every category. was to be expected from such an old hard drive.

so yesterday I went out and bought a western digital blue with 1TB. After reinstalling antergos, I looked at the smart data. It showed zero errors, said the drive is working perfectly, yet gnome disk utility shows prefail or old age in ALL categories. Is this a bug in the utility? So far the drive has 3 hours uptime. my old HDD had 1year and 2 months.

I’m getting paranoid. Should I just not worry, as long as there aren’t any read/write errors and no bad sectors?
    Any input would be appreciated. The drive has a 2 year warranty, so swapping it for a different one shouldn’t be a problem. If I should do that, that is.

Distro hopping junkie

• No you have no need to be alarmed. That field is just a description as to what type of error that attribute would belong to…

• @“AJSlye”:xd1xopuj said:

No you have no need to be alarmed. That field is just a description as to what type of error that attribute would belong to…[/quote:xd1xopuj]
    Thanks for replying. That’s also what I was thinking. the reason I got paranoid, however, is because I saw screenshots where it says “OK - within normal range” instead of prefail.
    The hard drive is ultra quiet though. My old one got real loud towards the end.

Distro hopping junkie

Posts 4Views 1196