• HDD S.M.A.R.T. readout

I recently had a hard drive die on me. When I looked at the smart data with gnome-disk-utility it showed a very high number of read failures and “pre-fail” in just about every category. was to be expected from such an old hard drive.

so yesterday I went out and bought a western digital blue with 1TB. After reinstalling antergos, I looked at the smart data. It showed zero errors, said the drive is working perfectly, yet gnome disk utility shows prefail or old age in ALL categories. Is this a bug in the utility? So far the drive has 3 hours uptime. my old HDD had 1year and 2 months.

I’m getting paranoid. Should I just not worry, as long as there aren’t any read/write errors and no bad sectors?
    Any input would be appreciated. The drive has a 2 year warranty, so swapping it for a different one shouldn’t be a problem. If I should do that, that is.

• I recently had a hard drive die on me. When I looked at the smart data with gnome-disk-utility it showed a very high number of read failures and “pre-fail” in just about every category. was to be expected from such an old hard drive.

so yesterday I went out and bought a western digital blue with 1TB. After reinstalling antergos, I looked at the smart data. It showed zero errors, said the drive is working perfectly, yet gnome disk utility shows prefail or old age in ALL categories. Is this a bug in the utility? So far the drive has 3 hours uptime. my old HDD had 1year and 2 months.

I’m getting paranoid. Should I just not worry, as long as there aren’t any read/write errors and no bad sectors?
    Any input would be appreciated. The drive has a 2 year warranty, so swapping it for a different one shouldn’t be a problem. If I should do that, that is.

• No you have no need to be alarmed. That field is just a description as to what type of error that attribute would belong to…

• @“AJSlye”:xd1xopuj said:

No you have no need to be alarmed. That field is just a description as to what type of error that attribute would belong to…[/quote:xd1xopuj]
    Thanks for replying. That’s also what I was thinking. the reason I got paranoid, however, is because I saw screenshots where it says “OK - within normal range” instead of prefail.
    The hard drive is ultra quiet though. My old one got real loud towards the end.

Posts 4Views 1623
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.