• Tired of error "VboxClient: the Virtualbox kernel service is not running..."

Anterguys, i had a working Virtualbox for a very long time with all the extras (guests additions, etc.), but now im having in every boot a Gnome pop up message “vboxclient: the virtualbox kernel service is not running”.

This does not cause any problem with the virtualization in any way (i guess), but how can i remove that message? thank you

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE (Ex-Mate) - Dell D630
    Antergos Cinnamon - Asus E-11
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc
    Puppy Linux Lxpuptahr USB live - All machines

• @Caiosama205 from what I can gather it’s not really a bug just a message. From what I have found it’s not a major issue but can be fixed by editing the file virtualbox-guest-x11 package
    script file 98vboxadd-xclient. Lines 24-26 read:

if test -f /proc/modules && ! grep -q vboxguest /proc/modules 2>/dev/null; then
       # Do not start if the kernel module is not present.
       notify-send "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running.  Exiting."

So to fix this you simply do the following:

if test -f /proc/modules && ! grep -q vboxguest /proc/modules 2>/dev/null; then
       # Do not start if the kernel module is not present.
       # notify-send "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running.  Exiting."

Unfortunately I do not know WHERE exactly this file is located but I would imagine it’s in Root (somewhere) in a folder labelled “virtualbox-guest-x11” also if you find the file and can’t edit it due to permissions, I usually just use nano in terminal. Example:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/"name of file"
    CTRL + O to save CTRL + X to exit

Hope it helps!

Source material: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=210020&start=40

• Great @linuxhelmet !!! the problem is gone :) but the archive is called “Vboxclient-all” in /usr/bin . I didn´t find any of the files of your post in my computer.

With the # (and without the parenthesis), the line looks like this:

if ! test -c /dev/vboxguest 2>/dev/null; then
    (#) Do not start if the kernel module is not present.
    (#) notify-send “VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running. Exiting.”

• I never was able to install correctly virtual box in antergos o manjaro, ever virtual box can’t install correctly manjaro, apricity or antergos in a virtual machine, and install deepin linux very very slow, and works it with a very poor performance. I think that is a problem with Arch Linux, in Ubuntu i haven’t problems with Virtual Box.

• @Caiosama205 Great! I’m glad I was able to point you in the general direction and you were able to solve your own problem. If your problem is solved then mark it as solved. (in the dropdown on the right of your original post I believe) :)

As for @alaguna I’m not sure I quite understand your question? From what I’m reading I’m not sure if you’re referring to the host virtualbox program or the client virtual machines you are trying to spin-up. As for installing the program in antergos you open up terminal:
    yaourt -S virtualbox
    A more detailed guide is in the Antergos’ forums by searching:
    @hector
    How to install Virtualbox in Antergos (Tutorial).

Reference: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox

• @alaguna , with that tutorial, i had no problem to install virtualbox and all the extras :)

• @linuxhelmet I try to explain you better, but in spanish will be easier.

Ok, I installed virtual box in antergos first; then i try test apricity and manjaro, so, i make a virtual machine and test deepin linux, i installed it and this get all night, then, inside deepin all was slow, very slow, very poor performance. Then i try test apricity and never finish install, never; then, manjaro, and this show me a problem when Calamares sais me that can’t uncompress the linux image.

I decide test this problem, i didn’t want install manually Arch, so, i installed manjaro. I installed virtual box in manjaro, and try test antergos first, and then, manjaro too. I have the same problems, but, in this case Apricity sais me that couldn’t uncompress the linux image. I don’t remember very good if i try test Antergos and i have the same problem.

So, i think that the problem is with arch and derivates. Why? I try test the same OS in other computer, these has Ubuntu 15.04 with Gnome.
    I create a virtual machine with same especifications: 2GB Ram, 2 cores, 20GB for DD, 12mb for Video. I test Apricity and, all is well, no problems, 15 minutes for installation. Good performance.

So, i don’t know why i have this problems. I didn’t test virtual box now because i wan’t get stress, jajajajaja. This is my history.

Thanks.

PD: Guys?

• Mmm, i think i must do the same thing in every Virtualbox update…

• @alaguna I would check to make sure you’ve installed everything correctly on Arch before testing virtualbox. I linked the tutorial in my earlier post with a reference to @hector and his post. https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1102/how-to-install-virtualbox-in-antergos-tutorial

If you continue to have issues then there may be something coded for Ubuntu that isn’t for Arch. Or a dependency is missing…or your hardware is having issues with Antergos…or…the list goes on and on. lol

@Caiosama205 that may be the case unless you make a script to fix the problem with each update. You may be on your own on that one though! Good luck ;)

• I have this bug again, but with the last something update, i don’t know.

• @alaguna said in Tired of error "VboxClient: the Virtualbox kernel service is not running...":

I have this bug again, but with the last something update, i don’t know.

Hi!
    Well i also had problems updating virtualbox so i downgraded.
    Anyway you can try:

sudo systemctl start vboxservice
    sudo systemctl enable vboxservice
    VBoxClient-all &

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• if you are tired of virtulbox try something else:

https://antergos.com/wiki/de/system-admin/virtualization/virt-manager-howto/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @ozerki These file doesn’t exist.

• this thread is old and is already marked as solved. If some of you is facing the problem please open a new thread.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto ups yes i do not see the age of the thread also:
    –closed–

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME