I’m having a problem while trying to install from a USB drive. I need some combination of nomodeset, i915.modeset=0, and i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 in order to not get a black screen with blinking cursor when I boot.
The problem is that if I try to press any key (besides enter) at the boot menu everything freezes and the only thing I can do is turn the computer off with the power button. This includes esc, arrow keys, and e to edit kernel parameters. I tried to add the parameters directly to the syslinux.cfg file on the usb but I didn’t succeed and I’m not totally clear that it’s possible.
There must be some situations when it doesn’t happen because I’ve previously managed to get as far in the installation process as selecting partitions. I’ve also had this problem after successfully installing plain Arch. I tested it with a plain arch usb and I have the same problem. I’m making the USBs with Rufus.

The only similar problems I’ve been able to find were here where the problem was Fast Boot and here which is a slightly different problem and didn’t get a very useful answer. I’ve checked and Fast Boot is off.

I don’t know what other information might be relevant but I’m trying to dual boot with windows 10 on a dell inspiron with an amd graphics card.

Edits:The first time I tried putting Linux on this computer I broke something and temporarily couldn’t boot windows (I couldn’t find windows in the boot menu, I fixed it by using a windows repair usb). Is it possible there is some residual problem with my EFI partition that’s causing this problem?

When it freezes there’s no increase in fan activity. I also tried unplugging and removing the battery for a few minutes but that didn’t fix the problem.

Ubuntu installs without problems.