• Cannot boot into Antergos

I am a complete newbie to Arch/Antergos, but I’ve played with Ubuntu for a year. I would try my best to make myself clear. Please bear such a rookie.

I installed the system using a live USB. While installing I could use neither my keyboard nor track pad (yeah I’m using laptop). So I installed with a mouth and screen keyboard.

After a successful installation I had the same experience as wintermadness did in this thread.
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/3552/i-cant-boot-into-antergos/2
    After the bootloader I get a black screen.

After some searching I put in this in the text mode.
    systemd.unit=multi-user.target
    Now I can log in, but now none of the keyboard, track pad or usb ports works, which means I cannot input any command after booting in.
    But under the LTS kernel the above devices work just fine.

I have a rather new device, with the settings being: Intel 100 series/C230 chipset, i7-6700HQ, Intel 530 & NVidia GTX 970m graphics.
    The system was installed on an PCI-E solid state drive solely, with no other os on the same drive.

Does anyone have any idea about what’s going on? I really want to get my hands on the new system.
    Cheers.

• kernel does not play nice with your keyboard? Not too sure the reason for that.

Question: Was your system recently release to market?

If it was just recently released to market, then I would surmise based on it potentially being so, that the newest kernel that Antergos wanted to install on your system on install, does not yet recognize your new system configs of your keyboard. Because, well, it’s just too new to be YET recognized by the kernel’s devs.

However, if you have LTS kernel, you are probably better off then. It is the better of the kernel lines, in my own opinion. And will allow pretty much all things on your system to function quite happily.
    Just because the newest kernel is out does not mean that everything has to be run on that newest kernel.
    I would stick with the LTS.

Have you checked the Arch Wiki on keyboard? I would strongly encourage you to bookmark the Wiki. I could not stress that enough. Extremely helpful print there.

Question: With the LTS kernel, are you able to login after the Greeter comes up and then onto the DE with the new system?

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @Modisc

Thank you for trying to help.

Yes sir. it is a system launched 4 months ago. I have checked the Arch wiki for keyboard but didn’t find much info helpful. Correct me if I’m wrong, because not only the keyboard but the track pad and all ports on my laptop are not working. I’d suspect it’s the kernel not recognizing the chip set rather than only the keyboard? If you need more info regarding the system, I can try to translate as much as possible since it’s launched in China and not much detailed info can be found online.

Regarding the second question: yes sir, with the LTS kernel I can login onto the DE and open software. Maybe it’s because the graphics drivers are not installed the coloring is not that smooth.

• The kernel not recognizing the chipset rather than only the keyboard? That could be. Or perhaps the kernel needs a patch from it’s developers to bring it up to speed with some of the newer hardware currently being released.

I do not think it takes all that long as Linus Torvalds and his dev team take that long to develop a kernel to match the newer hardwares being released. Just give it a bit of time, I would think. **Read further on below for more information on this statement. **

Just curious but what specific kernel version was initially installed through the Arch repos that does not allow you to properly do your work on the laptop? uname -mrs
    Sorry, I don’t know current kernel version as I also utilize the LTS, so I do not really keep up-to-date with that myself.

You mention that your laptop was released quite recently. Is it this one ? http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4157744237
    It is in Chinese but using your specs, it is the closest I could Google for.

As I briefly expressed earlier, you are probably much better off using the LTS kernel.
    I switched some time ago and from personal experience, I have not yet experienced any problems.

That being said, the kernels themselves as well as the content from the Arch repos are fairly stable so I would not really expect too many problems so long as you intend to maintain it’s stability and not mess with it too much.

All in all, you still made a wise choice in using a distribution based on Arch.
    By the way, if you want to find out about your keyboard man setxkbmap So for example, setxkbmap -query and look under “model”

Question: You mentioned that you were able to navigate with the keyboard while in Grub menu but once logged in, you were not able to utilize trackpad nor the keyboard. Correct?
    If so, have a look at this kernel commit. kernel commit

It mentions promising support for keyboard and trackpad for the Macbook Pro. It is just an example but it provides insight into the possibility that your keyboard may just not have current support for it. Do you see what I mean when re: support currently not available?

EDIT: But then again, if the LTS kernel supports trackpad and keypad, then it would reason that any subsequent kernels would have backwards compatible support.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

Posts 4Views 637