• I cant boot into Antergos


    I installed it with a live usb. I used the entire disk.

    I restart, I see what I assume is a grub menu with the antergos logo, and then the screen is black after showing some text.

    This is a new computer by system76. it has uefi with secure boot off.

    I don’t know what to do, I never had a computer with uefi before. I don’t know if thats the issue but its really frustrating. Please help.

  • Hi, what graphics stack does the system have? Intel, Nvidia, AMD?

  • Intel. i think its the hd graphics 530.

  • Are you installed nvidia drivers? have you a hibrid GPU?

  • @alaguna said:

    Are you installed nvidia drivers? have you a hibrid GPU?

    I didn’t install nvidia drivers. I don’t know what a hybrid gpu is unfortunately.

  • @wintermadness Hybrid GPU is a intel/nvidia gpu, for example, which gpu have you?

  • @alaguna Its Intel only.

  • @wintermadness Could you provide a link to your system specs online? (for the model you have not your system specifically) Otherwise I’ll need you to run some commands and tell me the output. Let me know, thanks!

  • This post is deleted!
  • @lots.0.logs said:

    @wintermadness Could you provide a link to your system specs online? (for the model you have not your system specifically) Otherwise I’ll need you to run some commands and tell me the output. Let me know, thanks!

    I have a system 76 gazelle with the i7 and the intel graphics. 8 gigs of ram. the processor is a skylake

  • @wintermadness Okay, when the boot loader comes up press e and then find the line that starts with linux /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=. Add the following to the end of the line (should be right after quiet):

    i915.preliminary_hw_support=1
    

    That should solve the issue for you. To make that boot parameter the default you have to add it to /etc/default/grub and then run this command:

    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    

    Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

  • @lots.0.logs said:

    @wintermadness Okay, when the boot loader comes up press e and then find the line that starts with linux /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=. Add the following to the end of the line (should be right after quiet):

    i915.preliminary_hw_support=1
    

    That should solve the issue for you. To make that boot parameter the default you have to add it to /etc/default/grub and then run this command:

    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    

    Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

    Thanks. Before you posted I tried using nomodeset and that seemed to do the trick.

    What is the difference?

  • nomodeset results in your graphics card and intel driver not being used at all (not what you want). The parameter I provided simply works around a bug in the driver so that you can use it.

    Cheers!

  • Ok. I will add “i915.preliminary_hw_support=1” (no quotes) to /etc/default/grub

    i just added it to the last line, is that right?

  • @wintermadness No, you should add it to the line for GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

  • So i tried adding the “i915…” line during a bootup. it did not seem to work. I did see this on another site:

    “I am on kernel 4.1.12. Boot arguments are i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 nouveau.modeset=0”

    the difference in kernels makes me not want to try this though.do you know what this is about?

Posts 16Views 1318
Log in to reply