• Problem with optical media

Hello
    Sometimes I have an error message when I access optical media in nautilus file manager.
    Steps to reproduce:

insert an optical media (I used an audio cd)
    the media is mounted and read without any problem
    Now eject the media (use the drive button, not the nautilus/gbome-shell button)
    Insert other media (I used a DVD+RW)
    Result: when I click on the media icon in nautilus I get this error message…

:exclamation:Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.

Any idea?

• Hello
    Sometimes I have an error message when I access optical media in nautilus file manager.
    Steps to reproduce:

insert an optical media (I used an audio cd)
    Now eject the media (use the drive button, not the nautilus/gbome-shell button)
    Insert other media (I used a DVD+RW)
    Result: when I click on the media icon in nautilus I get this error message…

:exclamation:Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.

Any idea?

• Hi,

Is this a VM or physical hardware? Check your /etc/fstab, your optical drive should not be listed there (remove them if they are). Also be certain you have all the latest updates “sudo pacman -Syyu”. Let me know if we need to research this further

Best Regards,

• @“lots.0.logs”:2jewgetm said:

Hi,

Is this a VM or physical hardware? Check your /etc/fstab, your optical drive should not be listed there (remove them if they are). Also be certain you have all the latest updates “sudo pacman -Syyu”. Let me know if we need to research this further

Best Regards,[/quote:2jewgetm]
    Thanks for your reply.
    It’s my physical hardware.
    My optical device is not listed in fstab file.
    My system is 100% updated.

• OK, how often is this happening? It is common to get this type of error when you have installed a kernel update but have yet to restart your system.

Best Regards,

• @“lots.0.logs”:35sdb1nw said:

OK, how often is this happening? It is common to get this type of error when you have installed a kernel update but have yet to restart your system.

Best Regards,[/quote:35sdb1nw]

The message error is gone! Thanks.

But I have other problem with some media types: DVD+R DL, DVD-R, DVD+RW and CD-R. Only audio CD works fine. I will explain…

audio cd (I think this is the correct behavior):
    Insert the media in optical drive
    Press the optical device button to eject the audio cd
    Nautilus automatically goes to home folder and the optical device icon disappears from nautilus left side and gnome-shell tray
    insert other media type
    the media is mounted and read without any problem again

DVD+R DL, DVD-R, DVD+RW and CD-R (annoying behavior)
    insert the media
    press optical device button to eject the media
    nautilus keeps showing the media content (???) and device icon on nautilus left side changes to "CD/DVD Drive"
    insert other media immediately (except audio cd)
    the system recognize the media because device icon name on nautilus changes to the media label (on gnome-shell tray is still “CD/DVD Drive”), but nautilus shows no file (???)
    if I eject and reinsert the media using the optical device button I have the same result
    I need eject the media using nautilus or gnome-shell icon to access the new media files

what’s the problem???

• There was an editable setting for this behavior in previous versions of nautilus. However, the current theme of GNOME development has been to remove any options they deem unnecessary. When I last used GNOME, I couldn’t deal with the lack of options in nautilus so I installed Nemo instead. So that would be my advice for avoiding it altogether. Additionally you could report the issue on GNOME’s bug tracker if you want.

Cheers!

• This is not a nautilus problem.
    Nemo, pcmanfm and thunar have the same behavior.
    My system is not umount correctly some media types when I eject the media using the optical device button.

• You may want to make sure you have ‘udisks’ and ‘udisks2’ installed.

This may or may not be the problem.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• @“MaNNa”:349y8xy4 said:

This may or may not be the problem.
    Why?

• @“Strangiato”:3hji88v6 said:

This is not a nautilus problem.
    My system is not umount correctly some media types when I eject the media using the optical device button.[/quote:3hji88v6]

I disagree. From the OP’s description, there is not a problem with the mounting/unmounting. The are actually two issues here. One is that nautilus does not close the directory once the media is ejected and the other is that nautilus is not refreshing the window upon changes to the dir (like inserting another media, for example). To confirm this try manually refreshing the file view.

Best Regards,

• @“lots.0.logs”:1ql5p5if said:

@“Strangiato”:1ql5p5if said:

This is not a nautilus problem.
    My system is not umount correctly some media types when I eject the media using the optical device button.[/quote:1ql5p5if]

I disagree. From the OP’s description, there is not a problem with the mounting/unmounting. The are actually two issues here. One is that nautilus does not close the directory once the media is ejected and the other is that nautilus is not refreshing the window upon changes to the dir (like inserting another media, for example). To confirm this try manually refreshing the file view.

Best Regards,[/quote:1ql5p5if]
    three file managers have the same behavior, so I think nautilus is not the problem.
    Manual refresh does no effect.

• I am not able to reproduce this issue with Nemo, but I can reproduce it with Nautilus. That does not mean its a Nautilus a bug however, especially considering it happens to you with pcmanfm as well. I haven’t been successful in finding any other reports of this issue online. My advice would be to ensure your system is not missing any packages from the gnome group (sudo pacman -S gnome --needed). Sorry I don’t have a concrete solution on this.

Best Regards,

• I use the same dvd burner (BenQ DW1640) since 2005 and I never saw it working fine on linux systems.
    Thanks anyway, lots.0.logs.

• IMHO it’s some kind of a hardware releated problem. Look [here[/url:1io6cqm8] for example. The same program (nautilus) and the same burner (BenQ DW1640) - so maybe you should upgrade firmware on your drive. You can find firmware files here[/url:1io6cqm8].]0

• @“matt_max”:cujs981m said:

IMHO it’s some kind of a hardware releated problem. Look [here[/url:cujs981m] for example. The same program (nautilus) and the same burner (BenQ DW1640) - so maybe you should upgrade firmware on your drive. You can find firmware files here[/url:cujs981m].[/quote:cujs981m]
    This topic on ubuntu forum is mine.
    I already use BSRB firmware.
    ]0

• After eject problematic media I run below command

mount|grep sr0

My system says that the media is still mounted.
    I insert other media and run the command again and it says that the previous media is mounted.
    My system is not umount/mount media correctly.

Posts 17Views 3029