• BUG HUNTERS NEEDED: Cnchi v0.6 RC2 \*Updated 4/16/14\*

Hi MaNNa (sorry, I didn’t get your real name)

Well, current stable release is version 0.4.3 (it’s in git, stable branch)

In git we maintain two branches, stable and testing.

We don’t do testing releases, but maybe we should start.

You shouldn’t update Cnchi to the testing branch unless you’re told to do so. Bear in mind that testing may be broken, and do all kind of erasing on your hard disks (we hope not, but we’re always testing new things in that branch).

Another thing is if you want to test Cnchi and report your findings to us. Then you must use the testing branch.

When I feel it’s ok, I’ll issue a new version in testing just for you guys know which version are you testing against.

[b:2wqqxyo8]EDIT: Faidoc has told me that he prefers another scheme. We will use kernel’s version scheme, that is, even versions 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, … will be stable versions, whereas odd versions 0.5, 0.7, … will be testing versions. Sorry for the confusion.
    [/b:2wqqxyo8]

Next stable version will be 0.6

I’ll show version number in the header. (also doing cnchi -h will show the version number).

You can also use a testing ISO that is being generated every sunday (it has the latest testing Cnchi code inside, which means that can be really broken).

Well, I hope this helps

EDIT: I made a mistake with version numbers in this post. Fixed.
    EDIT2 : Changed how we’ll number our versions, see above.

• If you use the testing.sh script that’s linked on the original post then you are able to see the version in the terminal output. However, it’s not really helpful because the version shown is our next release target. As you already know, the testing branch see changes daily (sometimes multiple times a day lol) so it doesn’t make much sense to version the testing branch. My advice would be to always use the testing.sh script to launch Cnchi. This will ensure that you are using the absolute latest iteration of Cnchi code available. Its just three commands to download the testing script with wget, make it executable, and launch it… In the future the script will be included in the iso so that you can just Alt+F2 test-cnchi

Cheers!

• @“rusty”:3ke18off said:

this one from last october 4 [http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_312_fs&num=1][0]">[http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a][1] … 2_fs&num=1

not too bad for that filesystem almost wins most of the benches. developed by Samsung which I think is good personally.
    If you do update cnchi I will try it on my old crucial ssd which still works fine.[/quote:3ke18off]

I’ve added f2fs support but don’t have time to test it (Time for work ugh). If you want to try it, you will need to run the testing.sh script to ensure the proper packages are installed to the live system.

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a

• Thank you Gustau for your reply (my real name is Bill, thank you for wanting to use this) – very helpful to know the stable/testing numbers and such.

You can also use a testing ISO that is being generated every sunday

Yes, thank you for that. I have been downloading those testing releases every Sunday (or Monday or whatever), and testing with those (very little testing to this point – hope to do more testing (especially on KDE - thanks Dustin!) now that I’m not quite so busy).

Also, thank you for the cnchi -h (help) command, however I don’t see a version number when running that command, although the version I have loaded on our server just for checking commands is 0.4.3, so this would probably be why. Will check this further with the just downloaded Sunday testing ISO on a VM or other box.

All you guys’ hard work is noticed and much appreciated!

• Yesterday I’ve downloaded latest testing ISO and wanted to install it with KDE.

But I got the old problem again, packages.list does not load, I see 2% longer than 5 minutes:

[[img:2144ontr]http://s7.directupload.net/images/140120/temp/66hr2spl.png[/img:2144ontr][/url:2144ontr]

Cheers
    Freecaster]0

• Forgot to mention (sorry) Gustau that putting the Cnchi verion number on the header will be great.

• @“Freecaster”:3vr7yqev said:

Yesterday I’ve downloaded latest testing ISO and wanted to install it with KDE.

But I got the old problem again, packages.list does not load, I see 2% longer than 5 minutes:

[[img:3vr7yqev]http://s7.directupload.net/images/140120/temp/66hr2spl.png[/img:3vr7yqev][/url:3vr7yqev]

Cheers
    Freecaster[/quote:3vr7yqev]

Did you launch using the testing.sh script? If not, it’s likely the commit that corrected the “packages.xml is invalid” error missed the ISO build on Sunday.

Cheers!]0

• by the way how about MDM instead vs LightDM for the new release ? just curious to hear pros and cons.
    Recently saw this [http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art/MDM-Zukitwo-Transparent-427301252][0]">[http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art][1] … -427301252 theme and drooled

[1]: http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art

• @“rusty”:2dwmw93j said:

by the way how about MDM instead vs LightDM for the new release ? just curious to hear pros and cons.
    Recently saw this [http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art/MDM-Zukitwo-Transparent-427301252][0]">[http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art][1] … -427301252 theme and drooled
    We considered MDM but ultimately decided LightDM was the better choice. The main reason is because MDM is developed by Linux Mint for Linux Mint. There is no guarantee that it will always work on Arch or with all desktops even. On top of that, if there was ever breakage, there’s no guarantee that the LM devs will be concerned enough to fix it or if they would even have the time (There are only 4 official fulltime devs for that entire distro) So because Antergos will support ALL desktops we need our DM to do that also which is the goal upon which LightDM was created.

What’s wrong with LightDM and our greeter? Do you know how many hours I spent on it???

Cheers!

[1]: http://zagortenay333.deviantart.com/art

• oh no nothing wrong with lightdm, like I said just curious to see why specifacally lightdm was picked. It would be nice to have that theme ported to lightdm if you have time of course.

• I can’t make any promises but we’ll see

Cheers!

• Latest testing ISO have MATE-Desktop! Yeah!
    But the installation does not work yet, last post with screenshot explain it

• Don’t know is it a bug or is it a “feature” but the installer in advanced partitioning is forcing user to make /boot partition or it will not highlight the “install” button. I basically on desktop use only 3 partitions root, swap and home and I think this is enough for desktop pc, but this is not so obvious for the installer, maybe it is on purpouse for the efi stuff?

• Are you using an UEFI system? If yes then it is necessary to mount your EFI partition at /boot so you will be able to boot Antergos. This will be made more clear before the next release

Cheers!

• Ok, finally testing the latest TESTING ISO with Cnchi v0.5.7
    Attempting to install the 32bit version to a Virtualbox VM running on a 64bit host.

Started the Live ISO and clicked on Try-It. This did close the initial Cnchi screen which gave me the desktop.
    [As a side off-topic note, I run the 64bit Live USB on the ASUS 1215B netbook and get to this same place, click Try-It, and nothing happens, except only the button pushes. The touch select/activate on the the touchpad also doesn’t work, have to press the touchpad left button just like a separate mouse to accomplish this. After the install, touch all does work properly though!

Now went through the follow instructions to make sure Cnchi is up to date with the testing.sh script:
    Why do I have to download this? Should it already be in the ~/Downloads directory?
    Had to first get to a terminal so that I could download and run the script.
    The only terminal that is on Activities/Apps? list is a Root Terminal. Why no non-root-terminal available?
    Try to run this. It asks for a password. Tried: live,password,antergos None would work.
    Run a non-root-terminal with Alt+F2, by typing in gnome-terminal. It runs.
    Run wget [http://antergos.info/testing.sh][0]">[http://antergos.info/testing.sh][1] to download the testing script. It downloads into Antergos, not ~/Downloads, as that was where the terminal started me. Didn’t cd to Downloads first.
    No problem. Run the chmod +x testing.sh command to make it executable.
    Run sudo -E ./testing.sh command. It brings up Cnchi v0.5.7 AGAIN.
    All of this to get back to the same place. That was a fun exercise nonetheless!

Now I run the Graphical Installer:
    Taking me through several questions – which I answer, I get to choose either erase the whole disk or, set up my own partitions.
    I want to set up my own with SWAP(2G),ROOT(17G),HOME(7G),/home/user/STORAGE for the rest. So I choose that.
    The next dialog can’t find sda1 – or any other disk for that matter. That was out.
    So I went back to let it erase the whole disk, and I chose to make a separate home directory.
    I had chosen to Install KDE (despise Gnome - add on this, add on that, just to get close to where KDE already is! I digress, sorry) at one of the first questions, so was ready to continue.

Moves along a little and gets to: Updating antergos-test database
    Stuck at 2% with the slide show still moving. This is where I have to kill it.
    Ctl+Alt+Esc won’t bring up a KILL icon. Even going back to the terminal and using Ctrl+c won’t kill it.
    Simply exited Linux and that closed all.

Now will wait for Next Sunday’s Test release – which I look forward to.

BTW, why not build Test releases anytime that Cnchi has fixes, or other fixes and/or updates to the Live Antergos build enough to build another. In other words, why wait till Sunday!

Keep up the good work guys. It is looking great up to this point!

[1]: http://antergos.info/testing.sh

• @“lots.0.logs”:2enpopu2 said:

Are you using an UEFI system? If yes then it is necessary to mount your EFI partition at /boot so you will be able to boot Antergos. This will be made more clear before the next release

Cheers![/quote:2enpopu2]

Yes I’m using UEFI based desktop PC, thanks for sorting this up. Keep up the good work!

• Hi Bill,

Now went through the follow instructions to make sure Cnchi is up to date with the testing.sh script:
    Why do I have to download this? Should it already be in the ~/Downloads directory?

The Cnchi version that you have in the testing ISO is the one that was available when it was built (sunday). If you want to use the latest one you must use the testing script like you have done. If nothing new has been done in Cnchi you will end with the same version

The next dialog can’t find sda1 – or any other disk for that matter. That was out.

What do you mean? Did you set the mount points? When you finish setting up your setup, a dialog shows up and informs you of all the changes Cnchi will make. Didn’t show up? Please, if you can attach a screenshot of this I will be grateful.

stuck at Updating antergos-test database

Yep, sorry for this. It has been fixed. No antergos-test repository should be used.

Now will wait for Next Sunday’s Test release – which I look forward to.

You don’t have to! If you use the testing.sh script, it will always download the latest Cnchi testing version. Always check the version number!

Keep up the good work guys. It is looking great up to this point!

Even though your experience was a total disaster you’re encouraging us! Thanks!

• Hi Gustau… Yes I know how the testing script works (and it works very well!), and yes it will always give the latest Cnchi, so that is the good part. The part that was maybe not quite so good was getting to a point where I could download it, run it, then find it was still the same version of Cnchi that was already there.

May I suggest that since these are test builds that at the very least that the test script is already in the ~/Downloads directory, ready to at least get to a terminal to run — and even better would be an icon to click on somewhere to run a simple dialog that runs the script for us, and brings us up to an updated to the latest GIT version. We need to make this as easy and as quick as possible!

What do you mean? Did you set the mount points? When you finish setting up your setup, a dialog shows up and informs you of all the changes Cnchi will make. Didn’t show up?

Once I got to that screen Gustau to set the mount points, it found no drive to do anything with.

Now I just ran the Graphical Installer again and got to the (advanced) dialog, and it found the drive and the partitions that the “Erase entire disk…” setting made before were there.

So after that exited Antergos live, deleted the VB instance, made a new Antergos VB VM instance, the same as before, get to that same screen, and POOF! the drive is not found again.
    Picture attached:
    ❗Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.

They say (I don’t know who “they” are

Even though your experience was a total disaster you’re encouraging us! Thanks!

Not a total disaster Gustau, just a partial one…

You are welcome, truly, and I know this is a very difficult process you are all going through, so yes, be encouraged my friend(s)!

• Hi Bill,

May I suggest that since these are test builds that at the very least that the test script is already in the ~/Downloads directory, ready to at least get to a terminal to run — and even better would be an icon to click on somewhere to run a simple dialog that runs the script for us, and brings us up to an updated to the latest GIT version. We need to make this as easy and as quick as possible!

The script is lots0logs work but the testing ISO is made by Faidoc. I don’t know if he will be open to change the building scripts… it’s easier for us if the testing ISO’s are created exactly as the “official” release.

[quote:1e8jgti9]Once I got to that screen Gustau to set the mount points, it found no drive to do anything with.
    Well, you discovered a very important bug! I’ve (hopefully) fixed it and updated Cnchi testing to version 0.5.9. I hope that your issue (about the harddisk not being shown) will be solved. Feel free to test it and get back to us when you have the time.

Cheers!

• Will do, Gustau.

Posts 135Views 54602
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.