• Caja in thumbnailing mode causes high CPU activity

When I open Caja and look at a folder with picture/video media inside, my CPU activity on all eight cores jumps up to 45-50 percent and stays like that until I either shut down Caja or navigate to a folder not containing picture/video media. The issue seems to be with totem-video-thumbnailer. My question is (a) is this a known bug, and (b) is there a way I can set Caja to use a different thumbnailer? Currently, I’m using Thunar which appears to use a different thumbnailer, but I’d really like to use Caja if possible.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

• My only advice as an non-Mate user is try to install / reinstall pacman -S ffmpegthumbnailer and delete Caja’s cache.

Also, look for grilo-plugins package, which is a dependency of grilo, package used by Totem (i suppose you have new Totem, rebranded as Gnome Video ?). Those plugins use tracker, which is an indexer and CPU killer (check for tracker on daemon / services list).

a warm place with no memory

• Initial results look promising. I’ll run everything for 24 hours or so to see how it pans out, and if everything seems to be running fine, I’ll be back to mark the thread solved. Thank you, Roberto.

Lenovo H50-50 Sharkbay, Intel® Core i7 4790 Haswell CPU @ 3.60 GH, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Antergos 64-bit, 2GB WDC (SATA), 3GB TOSHIBA (SATA).

caja1 totem-thumbnail1 Posts 3Views 557