• Like 0

Antegros uses around 1.2 GB of RAM on a fresh install

Hi,
    I am trying out Antergos and I like it a lot so far. I have also received great help on these forums already so thanks for that!

One thing that is bothering me with my new Antegros install, is the high RAM usage right after login before opening any applications open. I am using the Gnome Shell desktop environment and htop report around 1200 MB of RAM being used by the system already before I start running any applications.

Details about the processes can be seen in the attached screenshot, but it is mainly several instances of WebKitWebProcess, gnome-shell, goa-daemon, and lightdm-webkit2-greater. I just installed Antergos yesterday and have installed a handful applications since (the only one set to autostart is redshift). Why are so many of these processes started as soon as I log in? Is this high RAM usage expected or is my system misbehaving? Is there anything I can do to lower the RAM usage while keeping Gnome shell?

0_1451323768656_Screenshot from 2015-12-28 18-24-42.png

• Like 0

Ok, so it turns out that all I needed to do was reboot instead of keep logging out and in (I thought I rebooted earlier also, but apparently not). After a reboot, the memory usage shows as 570 MB, which is more in line with what I have seen from other desktop environments.

I do have plenty of evolution-data-server processes running, but from what I have read online, it seems safe to remove those so I will try that soon EDIT: That was for the Unity desktop, evolution seems to be quite tightly integrated in the Gnome desktop so I will leave it where it is . I also noticed that every time I log in and out, the default memory usage increases with 20 MB, tested three times = 570 MB, 590 MB, 610 MB. I usually only log in once per reboot, so this is not a problem for me.

• Like 0

0_1451380740599_Screenshot from 2015-12-09 22-41-22.png

Well, a customized GNOME 3 install.
    Two main culprits are tracker & evolution & co.
    It is possible to get a 400MB fresh start GNOME 3, even with (custom) extensions (de)activated.

So, my M.O. is following:
    Disclaimer: this kind of setup require a better knowledge of packages and attention

1. boot and start minimal iso (later add: it’s the same procedure with full iso)
    2. wait to cnchi to update-it and start
    3. close/kill cnchi
    4. open terminal (i think is lxde terminal)
    5. sudo rm -rf /usr/share/cnchi (delete installed/updated version)
    6. sudo pacman -S git mc (install git client and midnight commander for lazy person which did not know that vim or nano are uber; confirm with Yes, of course)
    7. git clone https://github.com/antergos/cnchi --depth=1 (clone cnchi stable release from git repository)
    8. cd cnchi/data
    9. sudo mcedit packages.xml

and voila!
    This list controls packages for each setup scenario.

1. F2 (Save your modified packages.xml)
    2. exit mc
    3. cd …
    4. ./run

Your customized Cnchi has started!

a warm place with no memory

• Like 1

Because AKISMET sucks big time and i cannot put my entire response, here is part 2:

My custom packages.xml start from common group, deleting Intel wireless cards firmware, modemmanager, etc. Please take care and look twice before deelting or replacing a package (for example, instead of ‘b43-fwcutter’ i put ‘mc’, instead of 'zd1211-firmware’i put ‘git’ and so on ).

Ok, let’s go further and look and Gnome 3 metapackage (rows 99 to 151 on GitHub packages.xml file - see link above or below).

Packages related with tracker and evolution are: bijiben, gnome-calendar, gnome-contacts, gnome-documents, gnome-music, gnome-photos, gnome-shell-extension-status-menu-buttons.

‘Gnome-maps’ and ‘gnome-weather’ are collateral damages :) Google maps is far better and for weather i used one of two gnome-shell extensions already available in AUR.

‘Totem’ is replaced on my setup with ‘mpv’ because is act strangely without ‘gnome-music’ (grillo libraries missing) and upstream, ‘gstream’ can’t handle properly x265 videos.

Both ‘light-locker’ packages are deleted, because i don’t need a password-lock like screensaver as a sole user.
    ‘Orca’ and ‘seahorse’ also. Of course, ‘pidgin’ is useless for me and 99% of 2015’ IM users.

And of course, first package, meta-list ‘antergos-gnome-defaults-list’

Well, simply deleting is not a productive solution :). That’s why, it’s ok to put something back, in order to have a more system-ready, like:

• ‘lollypop’ instead of ‘gnome-music’
    • ‘eog-plugins’ instead of ‘gnome-photos’
    • ‘mpv’ instead of ‘totem’ (later, after install, use a GUI from AUR - for example yaourt -S gnome-mpv or smplayer, if you want to mix a little qt5 libraries, or ‘vlc’)
    • ‘gedit-plugins’ instead of one of deleted packages
    • gimp, dropbox, whatever suits you and you can find on Arch repositories (again, not AUR packages).

Well, if you think you can work without GNOME3 specific apps like Music, Videos, Documents, Notes, Contacts - which require tracker and evolution backend - that’s a way to streamline your setup.

Limitations of method:

• if you want to inject new packages, it have to be from Arch repositories, not AUR! (that’s why, i cannot install ‘gnome-mpv’ video player, which is from AUR and put just ‘mpv’, it’s main dependency, and after install, with ‘pamac’ or just from terminal with yaourt, install a proper GUI)
    • you have to know exactly each package name; if you write wrong names, installer will fail because it has to download unknown packages (for example you write ‘gedit-plugin’ instead of ‘gedit-plugins’)

But this is very usefull exercise for custom setups, thanks to modular Cnchi installer and goes further to Cnchi’s front-end custom features, like choosing desktop environment, printers, firewall, gamming, AUR, bluetooth support. Think as a more refined setup.

Addendum: i’m not using printing services and i’m not enabling in setup routine. Unfortunately, after install, even if you don’t have a printer and you don’t want printer services, you cand see a daemon running which takes around 15MB RAM, daemon named ‘gsd-printer’.
    It is safe to delete it as administrator from ‘/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-printer’.

Of course, you can go further and look at your startup apps and daemons. For example, disabling automatic startup of ‘pamac’ daemon (around 10MB) or dropbox daemon (at least 80MB), …

Well, that’s it. That’s how your startup GNOME 3 takes less RAM than Cinnamon and on parity with XFCE.

Again, Cnchi packages list:
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/data/packages.xml

a warm place with no memory

• Like 0

Thanks you for the detailed answer! This will be a great resource if I need to tweak the Gnome startup earlier. For now, I am happy with my 570 MB as that around what I am used to seeing on other DEs, so I will try to work with this for a while before trying to modify it further, since I am not sure I am familiar enough with the packages to comfortably delete them. Thanks again for the information.

• Like 0

@roberto Thanks for writing this guide. It’s always helpful to see how others customize their system and I have learned a few new tricks in your post so thanks a lot

• Like 0

@roberto Thanks for your advices.

Yes, now i takes 1.7GB from RAM, but, when i install other things these go to 2.7gb, it’s crazy, but, more crazy is wayland: 75mb, only 75mb!

• Like 0

To update, I figured out that the increased RAM usage is due to lightdm no killing of spawned processes after locking the computer and logging back in. Since this is separate from the more general tips discussed here, I opened a new discussion for this issue.

Posts 8Views 1796