• /etc/xdg/autostart

Hi,

I installed Antergos Openbox, keeping my /home partition as is and for some reason /etc/xdg/autostart programs get hung up and do not start. A symptom of the problem is then when I first try to log out of the system, it will throw the following error:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject

and it doesn’t actually log me out and all of the /etc/xdg/autostart programs will run. If I try to log out again, it will be successful.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

• @zoof :
    This is talking about the PolKit Authentication Agent. Are you able to disable it somehow in your Settings, perhaps? Look in someplace like Settings and/or Startup. Uncheck any kind of authentication agent specifically with that name.

Better yet, do this:
    systemctl status polkit.service
    It should give you an output like this:
    polkit.service - Authorization Manager

If the .service is loaded, then use systemctl to disable it

Another option to look into is this :
    pacman -Qi polkit
    If it gives you output like this:

Name           : polkit
    Version        : 0.113-1
    Description    : Application development toolkit for controlling system-wide
                     privileges
    Architecture   : x86_64
    URL            : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/polkit
    Licenses       : LGPL
    Groups         : None
    Provides       : None
    Depends On     : glib2  pam  expat  systemd  js17  python2
    Optional Deps  : None
    Required By    : accountsservice  colord  modemmanager  networkmanager
                     polkit-qt4  polkit-qt5  rtkit  udisks  udisks2
    Optional For   : systemd
    Conflicts With : None
    Replaces       : None
    Installed Size : 1809.00 KiB
    Packager       : Jeff Huang 
    Build Date     : Thu 08 Oct 2015 06:21:24 AM PDT
    Install Date   : Wed 04 Nov 2015 02:29:00 PM PST
    Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package 
    Install Script : Yes
    Validated By   : SHA256 Sum

Read it very carefully. Read the deps too, as well as what you may need if for should you decide to uninstall it or disable the .service file.
    Hope it helps. If this has helped you, don’t forget to mark as SOLVED.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @Modisc So I had already tried your first suggestions – it is disabled but for whatever reason it still starts. Even if I stop it and then check its status, it immediately restarts.

$ systemctl status polkit.service
    ● polkit.service - Authorization Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/polkit.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-12-27 07:31:58 EST; 4s ago
         Docs: man:polkit(8)
     Main PID: 3778 (polkitd)
       CGroup: /system.slice/polkit.service
               └─3778 /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug

Dec 27 07:31:58 degas systemd[1]: Starting Authorization Manager...
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Started polkitd version 0.113
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Loading rules from directory /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Loading rules from directory /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Finished loading, compiling and executing 2 rules
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas systemd[1]: Started Authorization Manager.
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Acquired the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 on the system bus
    Dec 27 07:31:58 degas polkitd[3778]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-session:c2 (system bus n...TF-8)
    Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

My list of dependencies is a little different but I’m not too sure which could be forcing it to automatically restart:

$ pacman -Qi polkit
    Name           : polkit
    Version        : 0.113-4
    Description    : Application development toolkit for controlling system-wide privileges
    Architecture   : x86_64
    URL            : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/polkit
    Licenses       : LGPL
    Groups         : None
    Provides       : None
    Depends On     : glib2  pam  expat  systemd  js17
    Optional Deps  : None
    Required By    : accountsservice  colord  cups-pk-helper  gconf  lightdm  lxsession  modemmanager
                     networkmanager  pamac  rtkit  udisks2
    Optional For   : gparted  systemd
    Conflicts With : None
    Replaces       : None
    Installed Size : 1666.00 KiB
    Packager       : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) 
    Build Date     : Sun 25 Oct 2015 02:39:10 PM EDT
    Install Date   : Tue 22 Dec 2015 11:46:00 PM EST
    Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
    Install Script : Yes
    Validated By   : SHA256 Sum

I have an i686 machine with nearly the same set of dependencies (on the machine in question, I uninstalled polkit-gnome to try to fix it) and no such problem.

I think the problem must have something to do with a residual user config file from a prior installation but I really don’t know where to start looking.

• @zoof
    Ok, so you have a bit of a different issue there because have a look at what is dependent upon this service. Your lightdm, pamac, and a few others.
    I think that disabling this, which is a service for enabling service to unprivileged programs might cause an issue. The man polkit provides a bit more info on it.
    And as a side note 50-default.rules in /etc/polkit.1/rules.d just will list your default rule set.
    It should NOT BE EDITED.

And I am going to update my initial thoughts on this from my first post and that is I am of the opinion that because it gives system-wide privileges, this unit service should not be disabled.
    So disabling should be ruled out.

So if it is disabled, there’s going to be lot of poop.

what does journalctl -b | grep error provide?

Other thoughts are that perhaps it is a group permissions issue. So for example, the user you’re logged in as is not a member of “some group”, and this “some group” has the required permission to access that missing service. Hence, it says that, that authentication already exists.

Also, you mentioned of a potential conflict of other config files.
    What config files? Of another DE? Of some kind of app?
    Look under /etc/xdg/autostart what lists there?

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Thanks, I’m out of town right now so I’ll try these when I return.

• Hi @Modisc,

I’m back from my travels and this is what I’ve found. Anything illuminating?

zoof

@Modisc said:

@zoof
    Ok, so you have a bit of a different issue there because have a look at what is dependent upon this service. Your lightdm, pamac, and a few others.
    I think that disabling this, which is a service for enabling service to unprivileged programs might cause an issue. The man polkit provides a bit more info on it.
    And as a side note 50-default.rules in /etc/polkit.1/rules.d just will list your default rule set.
    It should NOT BE EDITED.

/* -*- mode: js; js-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, it will be overwritten on update
    //
    // Default rules for polkit
    //
    // See the polkit(8) man page for more information
    // about configuring polkit.

polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
        return ["unix-group:wheel"];
    });

And I am going to update my initial thoughts on this from my first post and that is I am of the opinion that because it gives system-wide privileges, this unit service should not be disabled.
    So disabling should be ruled out.

So if it is disabled, there’s going to be lot of poop.

what does journalctl -b | grep error provide?

# journalctl -b | grep rror|grep -v sane
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc0183, key code 226): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1005, key code 212): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc101f, key code 419): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1020, key code 418): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1041, key code 421): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1042, key code 423): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1043, key code 397): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1044, key code 149): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1045, key code 202): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1046, key code 203): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc1048, key code 430): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc104a, key code 136): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:04:56 degas systemd-udevd[268]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event0' (scan code 0xc104c, key code 162): Invalid argument
    Jan 06 08:06:33 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 09:45:48 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 09:45:48 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 09:45:51 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 10:07:32 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 10:07:32 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 10:39:22 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 10:50:17 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 10:50:17 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 10:50:35 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: (xfce4-notifyd:10613): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1: Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &
    Jan 06 11:13:51 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 12:56:59 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 12:56:59 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 14:06:37 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 15:04:12 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant
    Jan 06 15:39:44 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 15:39:44 degas org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[699]: disc.c:350: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv
    Jan 06 15:39:55 degas org.freedesktop.Notifications[699]: /home/tct/.cache/xfce4-notifyd-theme.rc:1: error: scanner: unterminated string constant

Other thoughts are that perhaps it is a group permissions issue. So for example, the user you’re logged in as is not a member of “some group”, and this “some group” has the required permission to access that missing service. Hence, it says that, that authentication already exists.

Not too sure what you mean here. There is only one non-system user, myself, who belongs to: lp wheel network video audio storage users.

Also, you mentioned of a potential conflict of other config files.
    What config files? Of another DE? Of some kind of app?
    Look under /etc/xdg/autostart what lists there?

$ ls /etc/xdg/autostart/
    at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop         lxpolkit.desktop   pamac-tray.desktop    pulseaudio.desktop
    gsettings-data-convert.desktop  nm-applet.desktop  print-applet.desktop  user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
xdg autostart1 Posts 6Views 1714