• Broadcom-wl... how to install?

Not sure if this is appropriate here but I wasn’t sure where else to go as I didn’t see a network related sub category. Anyway, I am cursed with a Lenovo that has a hardware check upon boot. If I switch my Broadcom out for an Intel or Atheros chip, it hardlocks on boot citing unsigned hardware detected. Yeah, pretty awesome Lenovo. On my current daily driver distro, elementary OS Luna, I have no issues with wireless as it configures it automatically with a few clicks. I’ve never been an Arch user, but Antergos has introduced a realm of actual usability to the Arch ecosystem, so here I am. Unfortunately, without wireless on a laptop I’m pretty much stuck in the water.

I poked around in the Pacman GUI to see if I could find the Broadcom driver while hardwired, but I could not locate it. I’m a little unsure of where to go from here, so this is where I ended up. Any ideas on how I can get this gizmo working with wireless? Chip is a 43228.

• Not sure if this is appropriate here but I wasn’t sure where else to go as I didn’t see a network related sub category. Anyway, I am cursed with a Lenovo that has a hardware check upon boot. If I switch my Broadcom out for an Intel or Atheros chip, it hardlocks on boot citing unsigned hardware detected. Yeah, pretty awesome Lenovo. On my current daily driver distro, elementary OS Luna, I have no issues with wireless as it configures it automatically with a few clicks. I’ve never been an Arch user, but Antergos has introduced a realm of actual usability to the Arch ecosystem, so here I am. Unfortunately, without wireless on a laptop I’m pretty much stuck in the water.

I poked around in the Pacman GUI to see if I could find the Broadcom driver while hardwired, but I could not locate it. I’m a little unsure of where to go from here, so this is where I ended up. Any ideas on how I can get this gizmo working with wireless? Chip is a 43228.

• You can get broadcom-wl from the AUR. I like to use yaourt to get packages from the AUR since it works just like pacman. If you haven’t used yaourt here you go:

I add the repository from the yaourt homepage, [url:qrnuxhws]http://archlinux.fr/yaourt-en[/url:qrnuxhws]

Once you add the repo sync it and install yaourt.

pacman -Syy

pacman -S yaourt

Then you can search to make sure that yaourt finds your package (broadcom-wl)

pacman -Ss broadcom-wl

If it finds it then install it. You will need to reboot to load it. Once you are back up you should have wireless.

• Hi there, and thanks for your crazy fast response. I’m a little confused though so please bear with me… just trying to connect the dots… so roughly translated do I *need* yaourt to get broadcom-wl? Reason I ask is you mentioned it as if it were a preferential thing, but looking at the instructions to get yaourt I’m sitting here thinking “how is that KISS?” After all, with AUR being… well… AUR… I figured broadcom-wl would be easily installable through it without any additional layers. Or perhaps my assumption is entirely wrong?

EDIT - Just out of curiosity I found yaourt in the AUR, so I installed that and then ran the 3 commands you mentioned in your above post, but it did not return with anything. It just simply returned me to the regular terminal prompt.

• Hi,

Just a little addition: yaourt is in Antergos’s repos, so you only need to do

pacman -S yaourt

to get it installed.

And, to find any packages in the AUR, you have to use yaourt, not pacman:

yaourt -Ss broadcom-wl

Also, f you want to find them using PacmanXG, there’s a tick somewhere on the top right corner that says “incl AUR”, and then it will search in the AUR.

Based on the results of the search, just the package broadcom-wl from AUR seems to be enough. To install it do:

yaourt -S broadcom-wl

Hope it helps!

"When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

• I got bcm4312 and i needed to do this:

[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110036][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110036][1]
    (ending wit this: sudo b43-fwcutter -w “$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR” wl_apsta.o)

Although this driver is a little buggy, sometimes i need to “connect to hidden network” even if it is not hidden.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110036

• I finally did find it in AUR and tried to install both through PacmanXG and terminal. This is what I got:

==> Edit PKGBUILD ? [Y/n] (“A” to abort)
    ==> ------------------------------------
    ==> y

/usr/lib/yaourt/util.sh: line 197: y: command not found
    ==> broadcom-wl-dkms dependencies:

• dkms (package found)

Not really sure what to do from here…?

• I did not EDIT any file

Press “n” instead

just NEXTNEXTNEXTNEXTNEXTNEXTNEXT

• Well, I got further once I hit ‘n’ with that PKGBUILD option (should have tried that earlier on but I figured it was serious enough to warrant attention), but now I’m at a new level and still a bit confused. I installed broadcom-wl-dkms (I figured dkms was safe since Arch will add new kernels over time), rebooted, annnnnd no wireless. Just, nothing. Wired and… that’s it. I checked PacmanXG and sure enough, broadcom-wl-dkms is installed and seems good to go.

Eh?

• I just assumed that broadcom-wl is what your card required. Via the Broadcom wiki [url:2j8cyqph]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless[/url:2j8cyqph] did you run the:

lspci -vnn | grep 14e4:

Then compare it to the list on the b43 page. It will specify if it is b43 or you can use the “Alernate” wl.
    [url:2j8cyqph]http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices[/url:2j8cyqph]

For example I have an older Dell Precision M4400 that you would think is fully supported because other precision’s of it’s time are but it has an odd bcm432b. So it can’t use wl and I either need to blacklist a module or per the wiki recompile the kernel with a different option in order to use b43. Even though broadocm is now “in the kernel” it still isn’t as seamless as it should be.

Posts 10Views 9677