• Format a bootable usb stick

Hi,
    I used a bootable usb stick (with Suse Image Writer) to install Antergos (XFCE) and I’d like to format it.
    I installed Gparted. After formatting the usb stick, I still have the following folders: arch, EFI, isolinux and loader (read only).
    I’m a newbie with Antergos/Arch so please tell me what I have to do to recover my usb stick (copy movies for instance).

Thank you!

• After formatting it and then removing the USB, what do you see then?
    Did you delete the partition and then format or just format it and no delete?

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• I only formated.
    Here is what I have:
    0_1449601975592_Capture d’écran_2015-12-08_20-12-13.png
    0_1449602041380_Capture d’écran_2015-12-08_20-13-47.png

EDIT:
    and this is what I have after trying to create a new FAT32 partition:
    0_1449602835833_Capture d’écran_2015-12-08_20-26-33.png
    Log: 0_1449602843959_gparted_details.htm
    Error on mkfs.fat -F32 -v -I -n " " /dev/sdb1

• @Primokorn

1. The device (sdb in your case) must not be mounted before working with it in GParted. It means that you should not be able see it in file manager. Unmount it either in file manager or from within GParted itself.

2. Before creating new partitions or formatting esisting ones, initialize the stick from GParted menu:

Menu --> Device --> Create Partition Table…

3. After that create a new partition(s) and format them with filesystem type(s) you prefer or need.

Edit

The rule is very simple - if you want to work with a partition (move, resize, check it for errors, format) it must not be mounted.

• From gparted log: "mkfs.fat: unable to open /dev/sdb1: Device or resource busy "

… and if you want to use the stick as datastorage after using it with a bootloader, you need to erase the mbr…

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdXn bs=446 count=1 >>

• The device (sdb in your case) must not be mounted before working with it in GParted. It means that you should not be able see it in file manager. Unmount it either in file manager or from within GParted itself.

• @just said:

@Primokorn

1. The device (sdb in your case) must not be mounted before working with it in GParted. It means that you should not be able see it in file manager. Unmount it either in file manager or from within GParted itself.

2. Before creating new partitions or formatting esisting ones, initialize the stick from GParted menu:

Menu --> Device --> Create Partition Table…

3. After that create a new partition(s) and format them with filesystem type(s) you prefer or need.

Edit

The rule is very simple - if you want to work with a partition (move, resize, check it for errors, format) it must not be mounted.

Problem solved after trying your suggestion. Thank you all!

Posts 7Views 1096