• <solved\>GRUB ISSUE

Hi…i am using cinnarch and i have screwed up my grub by generating grub.cfg now my grub menu is showing cinnarch and cinnarch-fallback twice each and two of them are not booting my os now my question how can i reinstall grub please help me with your answers

• Hi…i am using cinnarch and i have screwed up my grub by generating grub.cfg now my grub menu is showing cinnarch and cinnarch-fallback twice each and two of them are not booting my os now my question how can i reinstall grub please help me with your answers

• I guess you need to manually configure grub, through a file that I don’t really remember where it is. Just double-check which ones are working and delete the other two.

Someone’s else opinion would be great, though.

Polish Antergos User… and damn proud of it.

• Check if doing

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Solves it.

If not, open /boot/grub/grub.cfg and there you can remove the 2 that doesn’t work by hand

• faidoc tat command dint solve my problem so i edited that grub.cfg manually and added # before first two menu entries now i have screwed up my cinnarch and its prompting an text mode “rootfs” how to get my gui back …i have the back up of grub.cfg before editing it but i dono how to restore it?help me please

• Run the live medium and mount your system:

sudo mkdir /install  
    sudo mount /dev/sdaX /install -\> your root partition  
    sudo mount /dev/sdaX /install/boot -\> your boot partition if you have a separate boot partition  
    sudo mount -o bind /dev /install/dev  
    sudo mount -o bind /proc /install/proc  
    sudo mount -o bind /sys /install/sys  

Then chroot on it

sudo chroot /install

Follow this instructions to reinstall grub [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_440-byte_MBR_boot_code_region][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR][1] … ode_region

Run grub-mkconfig like I told you again

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR

• Thanks for the help now i am able to boot but still its having 4 cinnarch need to remove 2 of them since they are not working how to do it ?

• First make sure to detect which ones of them works.

And edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg to remove those lines

• Faidoc i made single menu entry with # and after that menuentry was not displayed in my grubmenu but after i tried to login in the available menuentries it prompted me to rootfs how to fix this?help me out to solve this

• Its best to avoid directly editing the grub.cfg file when at all possible. Do you still have the backup grub.cfg that worked? Boot into the live CD and mount whatever partition you have grub installed to. Delete the grub.cfg that isnt working properly and change the name of your backup copy back to “grub.cfg”. That should get you back where you started. The reason for having multiple grub entries is because you most likely have an old kernel/initrd in your boot folder that the grub script is picking up. Ensure that you only have the current kernel (vmlinuz-linux) and the current initrd (initramfs-linux.img) inside your /boot folder. Remove any other versions or any symlinks to others. Then run

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 

At this point you should have a working grub with only the correct menu entries. Good luck!

• Hi Mr.lots you are right in my /boot directory i am having vmlinuz-linux,vmlinuz-linux-lts and initframfs-linux.img,initframs-linux-lts.img and initframfs-linux-fallback.img,initframfs-linux-lts-fallback.img…
    I have solved my problem by deleting the lts initframs and vmlinuz-lts and generating the grub.cfg again

• Glad I could help!

Posts 12Views 3538