• Replacing existing OS with Antergos in Multi-OS EFI scenario

I have a following scenario:

My Laptop has a 3 OS installed: Windows (Gaming), Personal Linux, Work Linux. I had this separation for numerous reasons, like wanting to play all the games I own (Windows), having a separate stable setup for work (VERY important) and thirdly to have a linux I can play with. I always follow this pattern as my playfulness is rerely well received by my computers :) I tend to break things quite often and sometimes get bored and install something new, different distro or OS altogether. And this is the case this time, I want to remove existing Personal Linux OS and replace it with Antergos. In past days, when BIOS ruled this was quite easy for me, I had done this many times and had all my bases covered. But this time it is EFI, so it is still a bit new to me.

I already have a working reFind installed, BIOS/EFI settings adjusted so everything boots well. I have tried to install Antergos, disabled GRUB and mounted partition from my previous Personal setup. However, I have noticed that when setting mount point for EFI partition Cnchi says that this partition will be modified. Does that mean that Cnchi will overwrite everything or make extensive modifications? What Cnchi would do to my EFI?

My initial assessment is that some files required for proper booting of Antergos will be added to this partition and other exisiting installations will not be affected, but I wanted to ask before going any further and potentially destroying other OS (I don;t really care about Windows, but losing Work Linux would be disastrous).

• Hi,

I’m curious, is there a reason you are using reFind? By far, the easiest to manage option is Grub (whether its BIOS or UEFI boot). Unless their is a specific reason why you can’t use Grub, I’d recommend letting Cnchi install and configure grub for you. You would choose the Advanced Mode where you will select your mount points manually. Simply mount your existing EFI partition as /boot/efi and you will be good to go. (Just be sure that you DO NOT select the format option–doing so would overwrite your EFI partition!)

Cheers!

• reFind offers nice graphical interface… I know, not crucial, but I like it. I’d rather not swap it for GRUB.
    If I install Antergos without it, and mount EFI partition, will it be modified in any way?

• Oh okay then. You would need to skip the bootloader installation altogether (un-check the checkbox at the bottom of the partitioning screen).

• @lots.0.logs said:

Oh okay then. You would need to skip the bootloader installation altogether (un-check the checkbox at the bottom of the partitioning screen).

I did this the first time and when I have mounted EFI partition it still showed ‘this partition will be modified’ message (not those exact words, but something similar). Am I right to assume that this message is intended for GRUB installation and will appear regardless of skipping bootloader installation even though it does not apply in this scenario?

P.S. I have found the ‘Quote’ button on the forum! Well hidden for a newbie ;)

• Hmm…no, it should not say anything about modifying the drive so long as you don’t enable bootloader installation. Could you grab a screenshot of what you are seeing? Thanks.

• Will do this evening when I get home

• took me a bit longer than I’ve expected, but there they are:

1. bootloader unchecked
      0_1449092976293_Screenshot1.jpg

2. ‘Partition will be modified’ information (bottom of the picture)
      0_1449093032608_Screenshot2.jpg

so, am I safe to proceed or is there danger of my EFI partition being ruined?

• Hi, it seems ok but I will let lots.0.logs confirming. I just did it myself recently and it worked. Don’t you want to mount the swap as well though ?

• @squid-f said:

Hi, it seems ok but I will let lots.0.logs confirming. I just did it myself recently and it worked. Don’t you want to mount the swap as well though ?

Yes, of course, it was just a quick test to see if I get this message done at 11pm after a loooong day ;) I will mount swap when I actually do the install.

BTW, you mentioned that you did it youself, similar scenario (refind etc?)

So now I will just wait for the official dev approval :) … or will just bite the bullet and do it anyway… decisions, decisions… ;)

• @luksol said:

@squid-f said:
    BTW, you mentioned that you did it youself, similar scenario (refind etc?)

Hi,
    yes, I installed a 2nd Antergos partition in order to have 2 clean installs of different DE. I didn’t want to install Grub twice and I wanted to reuse some partitions.
    I use the same partition scheme than yours.

Hope you will not have any issue as well.

• @luksol said:

so, am I safe to proceed or is there danger of my EFI partition being ruined?

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, you are fine. The summary text is a bug, your EFI partition will not be modified. Thanks for the screenshots, now we can fix the issue with the summary :smile:

Cheers!

• 0_1449168899129_its-alive.jpg
    BUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ok, how do I mark it as ‘SOLVED’?

• ok, got it! :)

Posts 14Views 1615