• Gnome 3 desktop question

Hi. I love Antergos – just beautiful. Thanks so much for it.

I have the latest 64-bit install, with the Gnome3 desktop. I have an application I use frequently. It’s started by invoking a shell script from terminal. When the app starts, the icon for the app appears in the panel on the left side. I thought that right-clicking on the icon would give me the option of having it stick so I can invoke the app more easily. But it doesn’t give me that option. Does anyone know how to add an icon in this kind of situation? Thanks.

• @Jeffrey-Needle Find an application you want to add to the dock (eitherr by brosing all apps or by typing a few initial letters). Once you see an app’s icon, simply drag&drop the icon on the dock.

If there are no app’s icon, you can make a .desktop file to start it. A .desktop file may have any icon you give it, and execute any command, even very complex.

• @just said:

@Jeffrey-Needle Find an application you want to add to the dock (eitherr by brosing all apps or by typing a few initial letters). Once you see an app’s icon, simply drag&drop the icon on the dock.

If there are no app’s icon, you can make a .desktop file to start it. A .desktop file may have any icon you give it, and execute any command, even very complex.

Thanks. Is there some instruction somewhere on how to make the desktop file? I’m a bit new to all of this.

• @Jeffrey-Needle I can’t recall on the fly a good tutorial about making .desktop files.

They may be either quite complex or quite simple. This is an example of a very simple .desktop file. It plays Gnome startup sound.

The physical file name is gnome-startup-sound.desktop, but in a file manager it will be shown with another name. Exactly, with those indicated by the Name= instruction.

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment[en_US]=Plays Gnome's startup sound
    Comment=Plays Gnome's startup sound
    Exec=/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play -V -20.0 --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    Icon=/1st/art/just-icons/Gtk-Faenza/mimetypes/32/sound.png
    GenericName[en_US]=
    GenericName=
    Hidden=false
    MimeType=
    Name[en_US]=Gnome Startup Sound
    Name=Gnome Startup Sound
    Path=
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    TerminalOptions=
    Type=Application
    X-DBUS-ServiceName=
    X-DBUS-StartupType=
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=

There are many useless instruction in the example. Leave them as is.

The command(s) to execute are indicated in the Exec= instruction.

The icon to show is indicated by the Icon= instruction.

Save the file. To make it visible system-wide, you may save it in the

/usr/share/applications

folder.

Make the file executable.

Run it at least once. So Gnome will mark the file as Trusted.

Done. A newly created .desktop file will be visible among Gnome applications.

• Many thanks – I’ll give it a go!

• @Jeffrey-Needle If you prefer a GUI tool, you can give Arronax a try :)

• Thanks. Downloading it now and giving it a go. I succeeded using the long way, but there will be more instances where I’ll need this.

Best regards.

Posts 7Views 834