• Gnome 3 desktop question

Hi. I love Antergos – just beautiful. Thanks so much for it.

I have the latest 64-bit install, with the Gnome3 desktop. I have an application I use frequently. It’s started by invoking a shell script from terminal. When the app starts, the icon for the app appears in the panel on the left side. I thought that right-clicking on the icon would give me the option of having it stick so I can invoke the app more easily. But it doesn’t give me that option. Does anyone know how to add an icon in this kind of situation? Thanks.

• @Jeffrey-Needle Find an application you want to add to the dock (eitherr by brosing all apps or by typing a few initial letters). Once you see an app’s icon, simply drag&drop the icon on the dock.

If there are no app’s icon, you can make a .desktop file to start it. A .desktop file may have any icon you give it, and execute any command, even very complex.

• @just said:

@Jeffrey-Needle Find an application you want to add to the dock (eitherr by brosing all apps or by typing a few initial letters). Once you see an app’s icon, simply drag&drop the icon on the dock.

If there are no app’s icon, you can make a .desktop file to start it. A .desktop file may have any icon you give it, and execute any command, even very complex.

Thanks. Is there some instruction somewhere on how to make the desktop file? I’m a bit new to all of this.

• @Jeffrey-Needle I can’t recall on the fly a good tutorial about making .desktop files.

They may be either quite complex or quite simple. This is an example of a very simple .desktop file. It plays Gnome startup sound.

The physical file name is gnome-startup-sound.desktop, but in a file manager it will be shown with another name. Exactly, with those indicated by the Name= instruction.

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment[en_US]=Plays Gnome's startup sound
    Comment=Plays Gnome's startup sound
    Exec=/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play -V -20.0 --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
    Icon=/1st/art/just-icons/Gtk-Faenza/mimetypes/32/sound.png
    GenericName[en_US]=
    GenericName=
    Hidden=false
    MimeType=
    Name[en_US]=Gnome Startup Sound
    Name=Gnome Startup Sound
    Path=
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    TerminalOptions=
    Type=Application
    X-DBUS-ServiceName=
    X-DBUS-StartupType=
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=

There are many useless instruction in the example. Leave them as is.

The command(s) to execute are indicated in the Exec= instruction.

The icon to show is indicated by the Icon= instruction.

Save the file. To make it visible system-wide, you may save it in the

/usr/share/applications

folder.

Make the file executable.

Run it at least once. So Gnome will mark the file as Trusted.

Done. A newly created .desktop file will be visible among Gnome applications.

• Many thanks – I’ll give it a go!

• @Jeffrey-Needle If you prefer a GUI tool, you can give Arronax a try 🙂

• Thanks. Downloading it now and giving it a go. I succeeded using the long way, but there will be more instances where I’ll need this.

Best regards.

Posts 7Views 1402
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.