• Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

I have bought a Dell XPS 13 (9350) to get back into Linux after some 10 years, and I need input on the partition scheme for UEFI hardware. From what I understood, one would need a small boot partition at the beginning of the SSD. I have read several instructions, but I am confused as to how this boot partition needs to be setup. Some create a 100MB EF00 partition that doesn’t get mounted while others create FAT partition that get mounted to /boot/efi.

My planned partition scheme is as follows:
    /boot 512MB EXT4
    / (root) 20GB EXT4
    SWAP 10GB swap
    /var 15GB reiserfs
    /home rest EXT4

Should I create a 100MB EF00 partition or a 512MB /boot/efi FAT partition? If latter then I would have an additional 512MB /boot EXT4 partition, which sounds weird to me.

Any input and/or comments to my partition scheme is appreciated. Thanks much!!!

• Hi,

I am not an expert but I can share my experience after having tested many distributions and read a few post on this matter.

/boot/efi seems to be mandatory on UEFI systems. It has to be FAT formatted and limited in size.
    Separating /boot and /var seems to be for specific purposes (downgrading for instance ?).
    Your swap looks huge to me. What is the amount of RAM you have ?

The following link is interesting https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning

My own partition scheme is (not saying it is the absolute reference) :

• /boot/efi FAT 256Mo
    • /boot FAT 256Mo
    • / EXT4 50Go
    • /swap 5Go (I have 4Go RAM and I hibernate the system sometimes to time)
    • /home XFS the rest of my drive

Here is my humble testimony.

• @squid-f Many thanks for your feedback! The laptop is the i5, 8GB, 256 GB, and since I want to hibernate the system, I believe 10GB Swap is needed. With the boot/efi partition being FAT, I assume the /boot could be EXT4? Thanks again!

• @Reha Hi

/boot might even be ext2 or ext3 (might be less resource consuming according to what I have read, but I am not an expert). I kept it FAT because I am afraid of compatibility issue with dual boot ; might not be needed but I prefer playing safe ! 😏

• Thank you! Here is the partition scheme for my laptop with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD.

1. /boot/efi
      size: 256MB / type: ef00 / mkfs.vfat
    2. /boot
      size: 512MB / type: 83 / mkfs.ext4
    3. swap
      size:10GB / type: 82
    4. / (root)
      size: 20GB / type: type:83 / mkfs.ext4
    5. /var
      size: 15GB / type: type:83 / mkfs.reiserfs
    6. /home
      size: Rest / type: type:83 / mkfs.ext4

Thanks again!

installation292 uefi38 partitioning11 gpt6 Posts 5Views 2530
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.