• \[Solved\] Suddenly firefox won't start except from terminal

After updating today (significant updates were kernel and nvidia), firefox won’t start from docky or from the gnome overview search. I get firefox processes that never open a window if I launch that way.

I *can* launch it if I type “firefox” into a terminal.

I’ve never seen this kind of issue before… Any suggestions?

• After updating today (significant updates were kernel and nvidia), firefox won’t start from docky or from the gnome overview search. I get firefox processes that never open a window if I launch that way.

I *can* launch it if I type “firefox” into a terminal.

I’ve never seen this kind of issue before… Any suggestions?

• Its possible the update may have caused one of your plugins not to work correctly. Try starting with “firefox -safe-mode” and disable all of your plugins before trying to start normally. If that doesn’t help could you post the contents of ~/.xsession-errors after you have made a few failed attempts to launch firefox? Thanks.

Best Regards,

• Thanks!

I admit that I skipped safe mode – I just ran it from the terminal since that was working anyhow, and adjusted my addons that way.

In case this comes up in a search for anyone else, it *seems* to have been the HTitle extension. (All apologies to the dev of that addon if I’m wong.)

I wasn’t very scientific about it - I disabled that extension (the most recent one I had installed) shut down firefox, and saw that it would then launch normally.

Since then, however, I’ve found that flashgot is making FF freeze up if I right click, so I’ve had to disable that as well.

I wonder why the sudden issues…

In any case, I’m in good shape now.

• Basically what you are seeing is that what makes extensions so great is also the thing that makes them not so great. Most extensions are not created by professional programmers but by hobbyist and regular people like you or me. That’s great but as the extended software is ever evolving and changing, it requires the extension developers to adapt their work. Unfortunately, normal people are busy or their interests move to other things and, well you get the idea. Anyway, glad you got it sorted out!

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1153