• Installation: Cnchi 0.12.34 - stuck on ¨Configuring hardware...¨

Hi There,
    I´ve created a usb live disk with ¨dd¨ command after downloading the antergos iso via torrent.
    while installing the operating system - i´ve been faced with the following issue.
    0_1446290034297_Screenshot from 2015-10-31 11-10-26.png
    Model: Dell Inspirion N5110

Looking for your help,
    THanks

• @Or-Biton Could you please repeat an installation, and - if it fails - provide the file

/tmp/cnchi.log

Without it it’s impossible to do any assumptions.

• 0_1446305200554_cnchi.log.zip
    I´ve attached it.
    Thanks

• @Or-Biton Hmm. This is a difficult case for me. I’m not skilled enough to find a certain point that causes a problem.

There’s the [ERROR] message, that repeats 4 times in the log:

2015-10-31 14:15:25 [ERROR] pac.py(493) cb_log(): command failed to execute correctly
    2015-10-31 14:16:02 [ERROR] pac.py(493) cb_log(): command failed to execute correctly
    2015-10-31 14:17:35 [ERROR] pac.py(493) cb_log(): command failed to execute correctly
    2015-10-31 14:17:54 [ERROR] pac.py(493) cb_log(): command failed to execute correctly

But seems like it’s not a show-stopper, because the pac.py program goes ahead and execution proceeds beyond that points.

Let’s hope that someone more knowledgeable will help to figure out where the problem is. I’m sorry.

• Hi,

As @just says, those errors are not that important. What I do not get is why your installation does not go on. It seems to be stuck when configuring ALSA, which is really strange. It seems it doesn’t reach the command alsactl store… which no user ever reported having problems with it.

Do you know if there’s anything special with your soundcard?

• @Or-Biton Agree with @karasu . The messages related to sound configuration, near the end of the log, seem to be very strange and unusual.

Being unable to interpret them, prefer to not comment on the matter, to avoid a confusion.

• @Or-Biton If there’s another Linux installed on the computer, could you post back here the output of the command

aplay -l

It will look like

$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC665 Analog [ALC665 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC665 Digital [ALC665 Digital]
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    $ 

It might help to make a bit clearer your sound card(s) configuration.

• Hi There,
    Here are the results:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
      card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: 92HD87B1/3 Analog [92HD87B1/3 Analog]
      card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

• @Or-Biton Nice. Thank you.

Now, let’s try to check if the sound works in default live Antergos session.

• boot Antergos from a LiveUSB or LiveDVD
    • close Cnchi window. We aren’t about to install it right now.
    • open the terminal as a standard (not root) user
    • issue the command:
      aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Is there any sound? A female voice should say: “Front, Center”.

If Yes, that’s a good sign. We can investigate further. Otherwise, we’re in trouble.

• @just Sorry for the late response. The command outputs a female voice that said: “Front, Center”.

• @Or-Biton @Or-Biton said:

…Sorry for the late response.

No problem. There’s no hurry. Don’t bother about it

…The command outputs a female voice that said: “Front, Center”.

Good. That’s an expected result. Because [HDA Intel PCH] is present among computer’s sound devices. The first test was successful.

We’re about to do a next test. By instructing the kernel to use explicitly the [HDA Intel PCH] sound output device.

Add the following parameter to the kernel’s boot line:

snd-hda-intel.index=0,0

It will force the kernel to use the sound card 0, with device number 0. Both values correspond to the computer’s [HDA Intel PCH] sound device.

Again, we aren’t installing Antergos right now. The current stable 64bit Antergos release boots with the following parameters:

initrd=/arch/boot/intel_ucode.img,/arch/boot/archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ANTERGOS earlymodules=loop modules-load=looprd.modules-loop=loop udev-log-priority=crit rd.udevlog-priority=crit quiet splash 

There’s the final "space’ character at the end of the line, after the word “splash”. Don’t miss it.

Add the parameter at the end of the line. It will look like

initrd=/arch/boot/intel_ucode.img,/arch/boot/archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ANTERGOS earlymodules=loop modules-load=looprd.modules-loop=loop udev-log-priority=crit rd.udevlog-priority=crit quiet splash snd-hda-intel.index=0,0 

Again, there’s the “space” character at the end of the line, after the the “=0,0” chars. Don’t miss it.

• start Antergos from the live media
    • add the parameter at the end of the boot line
    • close Cnchi window
    • open the terminal as a standard (not root) user
    • run the command
      aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

The nice female voice should say “Front, Center” again. Is there a sound?

If Yes, then we’re at a good point. Otherwise, we’re facing a difficult case.

• I’ve done the steps mentioned above - got the attached error
    but running the aplay command produced sound0_1446488575667_tmp_14236-20151102_201622937912782.png

• @Or-Biton said:

I’ve done the steps mentioned above - got the attached error
    but running the aplay command produced sound!

That’s OK, but proves nothing. It Antergos has started, despite the error, we were at the first test conditions. Aplay produced the sound on the default sound device.

I’m out of ideas, at this point. Could it be just an occasional error? Have you re-tried an installation one more time? Obviously, you have checked the md5sum of the downloaded image, haven’t you?

• The ISO file have the correct md5sum - ee4aecf6bca1a7bdf35c3eec1573deb6
    I’ve tried to reinstall several times but still the same.
    I’ll try to recreate the Live CD on Disk-On-Key and will get back to you :)
    Update: Still no luck :(
    Thanks for all the replies - I hope that some day we will able to understand what is the problem

• @Or-Biton said:

I’ll try to recreate the Live CD on Disk-On-Key…

I’m sorry, what “Disk-On-Key” is? I think the most reliable way to create a Live Antergos media is the dd command and an usb stick.

• @just Disk-on-Key is the same as usb stick ☺ Thanks for everything. For the meantime, i’m using a different distro and I’ll try to fiddle with cnchi.py file.

• For the record, I have a Dell XPS 15 L521X and just tried installing antergos and am having the exact same issue as OP.

• @aqxea No problem installing Antergos on Dell XPS 17 L702X here. Since Cinnarch age.

• @just When I get home from work I’ll investigate further and post a few logs, but from what I can tell they are identical to Biton’s. I had to cancel the installer and reboot and my pc just booted back to Windows 10. I guess it hadn’t installed grub yet.

• @aqxea @Or-Biton May I ask you both only two questions:

1. What physical media do you use to write the image to, DVD or USB?
    2. What tool or command do you use to write the Antergos ISO to it?

Thanks.

configuring4 hardware9 cnchi104 Posts 34Views 5136