• File Brower not connecting to NAS

The smb package is installed and running smbtree gives the below output. But when I try and access the files from the browser it first gave a timeout message and then displayed links to the other devices on the network. Now it says Could not find “network:///DLINK-A76C31”.

\DLINK-A76C31 DNS-320
    \DLINK-A76C31\lp USB Printer
    \DLINK-A76C31\IPC$ IPC Service (DNS-320)
    \DLINK-A76C31\Volume_2
    \DLINK-A76C31\Volume_1

• Have you installed gvfs-smb?

• Yes, and I reinstalled it just in case, but the problem persists.

• Did you try smb:///DLINK-A76C31
    I believe that after the upgrade to Gnome 3.18 ( I am running Cinnamon) the network:/// prefix no longer works for me so I just use smb. In fact I now use smb:/// to browse my network. I just created a new bookmark inside of Nemo.

• The result is.
    Could not find “smb:///DLINK-A76C31”.
    I also run cinnamon, but have Gnome 3.18 installed. Guess I should learn how to access the NAS drive through the command line until its fixed. Probably do me some good to learn some new terminal tricks.

• That’s strange, did it ever work? Does it work from a Windows machine (if you have one)? Did you try adding the /IPC$ or /Volume_1 to the command?

• It works from my windows laptop. before when I tried to access it I would get a timeout message and then items on the network would show up, after a refresh of the window manager. Haven’t tried any commands other than smbtree, my plan was to google some tutorials, since I’ve only used cd around local harddrives. An example of a full command would be great if you have time. Anyway its late for me, will try again later.

• Did you install cifs-utils? Anyway, hope you get it figured out.

• Is your DNS resolving DLINK-A76C31 ? (just try ping DLINK-A76C31 in a console)

• cifs-utils is installed
    DNS is not resolving, ping: unknown host DLINK-A76C31

• OK, quick fix:

Add you DLINK-A76C31 host to /etc/hosts, (assuming its ip address is 192.168.0.1), simply add this line:

192.168.0.1  DLINK-A76C31

Then try again to “ping” it.

Cheers!

• After some research I found the default ip address for the NAS drive and now it is accessible. I used the host file method.

Posts 12Views 1142